One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
A mixture of petrol and ethanol used as fuel in internal combustion engines.as modifier ‘gasohol cars’
- ‘One of the many industrial uses of ethanol involves blending it with gasoline to make gasohol.’
- ‘The energy minister also said gasohol sales had increased seven times from that of January.’
- ‘In Brazil, ethanol from fermentation of sugarcane is used pure or blended with gasoline to yield gasohol, which contains 24 percent ethanol.’
- ‘The government has been trying to promote gasohol as an alternative fuel to reduce the country's reliance on imported fossil fuels.’
- ‘It is also used as an additive to gasoline to make a compound called gasohol.’
1970s: blend of gas and alcohol.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.