Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or having the characteristics of a gas.‘gaseous emissions from motor vehicles’‘gaseous oxygen’
- ‘Goethite forms only in the presence of water, whether in liquid, ice or gaseous form.’
- ‘The nanofiller also creates a tortuous path for the penetration of gaseous vapors and liquids into the polymer.’
- ‘Both were built in the early 1950s based on a method of enriching uranium by gaseous diffusion.’
- ‘Gaseous pollutants include wastes or emissions that are gaseous at normal atmospheric temperatures and pressures.’
- ‘Reactions between molecules can occur in the solid, liquid, or gaseous state.’
- ‘Alternatively, the thick mucus lining the airways could result in poor diffusion into the gaseous phase.’
- ‘Of course, we don't know if these planets that you have found are solid or gaseous, right?’
- ‘The contaminated soil is heated to 650 degrees centigrade to make the contaminants gaseous instead of liquid.’
- ‘Don't spray liquid or gaseous pesticides on windy days, to minimize pesticide drift.’
- ‘It still leaves the field open for gaseous and liquid carbon dioxide under the surface of Mars.’
- ‘The ash and gaseous products of the combustion are spread across our school grounds and the surrounding neighbourhoods.’
- ‘Once it arrives at a regasification terminal in special tankers, it is returned to a gaseous state and fed into pipelines.’
- ‘A number of processes have been developed by which solid coal can be converted to a liquid or gaseous form for use as a fuel.’
- ‘There are two normal methods: gaseous diffusion and gas centrifuge.’
- ‘The particles referred to can be molecules or ions and the fluid can be either gaseous or liquid.’
- ‘It is produced by the incomplete burning of solid, liquid, and gaseous fuels.’
- ‘The gaseous oxygen vent hood keeps gaseous oxygen from building up there.’
- ‘Most bacteria may be placed into one of three groups based on their response to gaseous oxygen.’
- ‘The planets are speculated to be gaseous or mixtures of ice and rock, but may in fact be barren rock worlds like mercury.’
- ‘Lung tissue is a gossamer net where the blood exchanges gaseous waste for oxygen.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.