Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A protective mask used to cover a person's face as a defence against poison gas.
face mask, protective mask, gas mask, oxygen mask, fencing mask, iron mask, ski mask, dust maskView synonyms
- ‘My investigation into buying gas masks continues.’
- ‘‘I think it was to test the sort of rubber they used for protective clothing and gas masks,’ he said.’
- ‘The anthrax attacks are a case in point: the world immediately feared the worst, shops in York sold out of gas masks, but the mass panic proved unwarranted.’
- ‘In addition, they all wore a re-breather mask, which looks something like a gas mask.’
- ‘After a petition to the Supreme Court, the court ordered the army to distribute gas masks to the local population, as well.’
- ‘The local media reported that in both cases officers in protective suits, carrying air tanks and wearing gas masks, were at the scene.’
- ‘A gas mask on his face made an unearthly breathing sound as he did so.’
- ‘The pollution haze in the extensive model shots was actually vaporized diesel fuel, pumped into a special studio where the staff wore gas masks.’
- ‘It is an emerging threat, it is something we need to deal with, but people should not be buying gas masks and antibiotics.’
- ‘That way, she could get into the presidential office disguised as a rescue worker with a gas mask to cover her face.’
- ‘Because of the larger canister and the better fitting of the face pieces, gas masks give greater protection.’
- ‘Armies quickly produced gas masks that gave protection as long as sufficient warning was given of a gas attack.’
- ‘The experts wore gas masks and a cylinder-shaped protective wall was erected around the site.’
- ‘The atmosphere is poisonous, so she wears a gas mask as she works.’
- ‘But to just be sure, that's the reason we distribute the gas masks and do the other things that we're doing here.’
- ‘Take care of your gas mask and your gas mask will take care of you.’
- ‘In front of the posse a mime artist sporting a gas mask and grim reaper costume moved ominously above bins covered in toxic waste signs.’
- ‘The main defence against them is protective clothing - gas masks and special suits made of rubber or treated synthetic cloth.’
- ‘We had to do the whole weapons qualification again to make sure that we knew how to operate a weapon, but also we did a lot of training with gas masks.’
- ‘Men in gas masks went door - to-door to distribute medication.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.