One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A domestic heating appliance which uses gas as its fuel.
- ‘The campaign will target students and first-time home renters, and will highlight the dangers from gas fires and other appliances.’
- ‘Byrne Gas stocks a wide range of appliances, from the contemporary to the traditional, including gas fires, fireplaces, cookers, hobs and tumble dryers from established appliance brands.’
- ‘This includes walnut flooring and electronics to control everything from the living flame gas fires in each split-level lounge area to the electric curtains on the windows.’
- ‘To those who were around in the Fifties, the term ‘rented accommodation’ conjures up images of dismal bedsits with spluttering, ever-hungry gas fires and stone-cold shared bathrooms.’
- ‘Features include gas-fired central heating, coal-effect gas fires in the living rooms, and a full selection of kitchen appliances, including Neff microwaves.’
- ‘Every council home in Bolton that has a Baxi gas fire, back boiler, and flue system, will be checked.’
- ‘Indoor pollution from gas fires is also thought to damage lung cells and may be the reason that women, who usually spend more time in the kitchen, experience worse asthma attacks than men.’
- ‘The Platonic Fireplace Company specialises in gas fires, with prices starting at the £1,175 mark, plus fitting.’
- ‘The new contracts are for servicing and repairing gas fires, water heaters and central heating for three housing associations at thousands of rented homes in East Lancashire and other areas.’
- ‘Instead he uses a gas fire to try and keep the family warm.’
- ‘A faulty gas fire which leaked deadly carbon monoxide fumes may have been responsible for the deaths of an elderly couple.’
- ‘Fortunately the shower is electric, and we have an independent gas fire.’
- ‘We dismantled the gas fire to get to the boiler (it's a Baxi), which was definitely a mistake.’
- ‘The rooms have dry heat, generated by gas fires.’
- ‘Then gas fires and central heating started to become popular and families replaced their coal fires.’
- ‘Other features at the scheme include porcelain-tiled kitchens with cherrywood Shaker units, black granite worktops, a full range of integrated appliances and coal-effect gas fires in most of the living rooms.’
- ‘The jury concluded that gas from a fractured main in the garden had seeped under the house and was ignited when the gas fire was switched on.’
- ‘The bright, main apartment has three separate timber framed windows to the front and a gas fire with marble hearth and laminate timber flooring.’
- ‘Today's gas fires are convenient and clean, light at the flick of a switch and are difficult to distinguish from the real thing.’
- ‘Gas, oil, coal and wood are used in many household appliances, including boilers, gas fires, central heating systems, water heaters and open fires.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.