One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An airtight room that can be filled with poisonous gas to kill people or animals, associated particularly with Nazi concentration camps during the Second World War.
- ‘This is best done by storing in an inert gas chamber or in a vacuum chamber.’
- ‘She'll be taken to the gas chambers and killed there.’
- ‘Using a drawing, he reportedly describes a gas chamber and the victims he says he saw at the prison in the northeast of North Korea, near the Russian border.’
- ‘The presence and use of gas chambers are matters best left to real evidence.’
- ‘During that time, thousands more had perished in the gas chambers.’
- ‘After a few months of work, they received the same fate in the gas chamber or were killed by firing squads.’
- ‘Secular humanism leads to the gas chambers simply because it does not recognise our capacity for self deception and evil.’
- ‘Beyond those incapable of work and selected for the gas chambers, it had a huge prison population mainly engaged in slave labour.’
- ‘The camps were the transit camps used before people were taken to the concentration camps with gas chambers.’
- ‘This is where they killed countless thousands in gas chambers.’
- ‘So far, no one has clarified how these false gas chambers worked, and what proof there is of their existence.’
- ‘There was a gas chamber and furnace room in one barracks.’
- ‘For a year they housed a refugee whose whole family died in gas chambers.’
- ‘But, without his intervention, so many more would have died with their parents in the gas chambers.’
- ‘His father had been killed in the gas chambers and he had no one else.’
- ‘I wondered if he thought he was going to die, or be herded onto the boxcars to die later in the gas chambers, or if he knew he would persevere.’
- ‘He is introduced into the camp scene after having miraculously survived the horror of a gas chamber killing in which all others perished.’
- ‘They gave us an insight into the kinds of minds that created the gas chambers.’
- ‘They're putting them in gas chambers and suffocating them.’
- ‘He has said in the past that the gas chambers were just a detail of history.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.