One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An airtight room that can be filled with poisonous gas to kill people or animals, associated particularly with Nazi concentration camps during the Second World War.
- ‘I wondered if he thought he was going to die, or be herded onto the boxcars to die later in the gas chambers, or if he knew he would persevere.’
- ‘This is where they killed countless thousands in gas chambers.’
- ‘He is introduced into the camp scene after having miraculously survived the horror of a gas chamber killing in which all others perished.’
- ‘This is best done by storing in an inert gas chamber or in a vacuum chamber.’
- ‘They're putting them in gas chambers and suffocating them.’
- ‘His father had been killed in the gas chambers and he had no one else.’
- ‘Beyond those incapable of work and selected for the gas chambers, it had a huge prison population mainly engaged in slave labour.’
- ‘During that time, thousands more had perished in the gas chambers.’
- ‘Secular humanism leads to the gas chambers simply because it does not recognise our capacity for self deception and evil.’
- ‘He has said in the past that the gas chambers were just a detail of history.’
- ‘For a year they housed a refugee whose whole family died in gas chambers.’
- ‘They gave us an insight into the kinds of minds that created the gas chambers.’
- ‘The presence and use of gas chambers are matters best left to real evidence.’
- ‘There was a gas chamber and furnace room in one barracks.’
- ‘So far, no one has clarified how these false gas chambers worked, and what proof there is of their existence.’
- ‘But, without his intervention, so many more would have died with their parents in the gas chambers.’
- ‘She'll be taken to the gas chambers and killed there.’
- ‘After a few months of work, they received the same fate in the gas chamber or were killed by firing squads.’
- ‘The camps were the transit camps used before people were taken to the concentration camps with gas chambers.’
- ‘Using a drawing, he reportedly describes a gas chamber and the victims he says he saw at the prison in the northeast of North Korea, near the Russian border.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.