Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Knitting in which all of the rows are knitted in plain stitch, rather than alternating with purl rows.
- ‘This Mohair Mystery was knit in garter stitch on size 17 needles with a decorative drop-stitch edge pattern.’
- ‘It is the first time I knit sleeves (remember, I'm the queen of the sleeveless top) and I think they turned out a tiny bit too long, but no worries, since they're done on garter stitch I can just turn the cuff around.’
- ‘I'm thinking that my square will be a simple garter stitch with the word ‘love’ in stockinette.’
- ‘What I really like is the garter stitch edging for the button band.’
- ‘Increasing every 6th and 4th row makes a lot of sense and here's why: The sleeve stitch pattern is a 10 row pattern, comprising of 2 rows to form garter stitch, 1 row to form the eyelets, 3 rows garter stitch and 4 rows stocking stitch.’
- ‘The garter stitch will prevent the edge from rolling.’
- ‘If you don't know how to knit yourself, you can learn the garter stitch and be well on your way to knitting your first scarf in less than an hour.’
- ‘We had a magical afternoon together and spent the rest of that summer mastering the garter stitch.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.