One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) the principal King of Arms of the English College of Arms.
- ‘It will be the Garter King of Arms who will proclaim the next Monarch of Great Britain.’
- ‘King Henry V created the office of Garter King of Arms with authority over the other English heralds.’
- ‘The Garter King of Arms turned them down out of hand.’
- ‘In England and Wales, Arms are granted under the authority of the Earl Marshall by the Garter King of Arms, in Scotland by the Lyon King of Arms, and in Ireland by the Ulster King of Arms.’
- ‘He ended his heraldic career without ever having attained the office of Garter King of Arms, or being honoured with a knighthood.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.