One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A suspender belt.
- ‘In the ‘Pelt’ paintings, Finley airily outlined bodices, thongs, brassieres, garter belts and fasteners.’
- ‘A mirror reflects the object of her scrutiny: a slender figure in black garter belt and stockings, visible from the waist down.’
- ‘She straightened the sheer black hose and attached it to her garter belt.’
- ‘A warmly welcomed returning veteran is the garter belt.’
- ‘Even if I can't be bothered to do the garter belt up in the back.’
- ‘Another piece, set to Hawaiianesque lounge music, featured two women in grass skirts with garter belts affixed to the outside, bras with gaudy plastic flowers on them and faux palm trees perched atop their heads.’
- ‘White and black striped stockings kicked through the air, covered only minimally by a black and burgundy skirt, which had flipped up, revealing a garter belt and a number of knives.’
- ‘Nothing says ‘trying too hard’ than a garter belt and merry widow.’
- ‘A stubborn child, he refused in his first youth hockey season to wear the garter belt required to keep his socks in place.’
- ‘Here's more on the personal items that were sold, including bras, stockings, and garter belts.’
- ‘The dress lay open in the back to reveal a black lace bra, panties and the garter belt that lay against her hips.’
- ‘For the seven or so people who've never heard of the campaign, let's just say it involves a man, a dingy apartment, a chicken suit, and a garter belt.’
- ‘Unhooking her stockings, she rolled them down before taking off her garter belt and slipping the gown over her head.’
- ‘Beside this, an armchair was covered in a wild outgrowth of clothes: summer dresses; stockings; suspenders; a garter belt; an ornate white basque that she had worn for him one night.’
- ‘He is the only male performer wearing a garter belt and hose.’
- ‘‘I find the rules that dictate femininity and masculinity are constraining and too obsessive,’ says Gagnon, perhaps partly in explanation of his leather garter belts for men.’
- ‘This will eliminate confusion as well as the event where you unpack everything to see if you did indeed remember to pack your garter belt or not.’
- ‘Let's get a quote from the expert, Ebby Calvin ‘Nuke’ LaLoosh, who wore a garter belt when he was pitching for the Durham Bulls.’
- ‘She wore stocking that were striped horizontally, secured by a garter belt, the straps of which was just visible.’
- ‘Thank you for having funky garter belts and for having underwear that I adore.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.