One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A decoration or embellishment.
A court order directing that money or property of a third party (usually wages paid by an employer) be seized to satisfy a debt owed by a debtor to a plaintiff creditor.
- ‘All garnishment and enforcement proceedings undertaken in accordance with the enforcement of the order of January 18th, 2002, shall forthwith be rescinded and cancelled.’
- ‘In September the plaintiff attempted garnishment on what he thought was the defendant's banker.’
- ‘By the time the motion was heard, the arrears of about $2, 000.00 had been paid as a result of a garnishment of his income tax refund.’
- ‘Wage garnishment is a creditor collection tool that a delinquent debtor can escape by filing for bankruptcy.’
- ‘When the bank learned of the plaintiffs' action against these defendants, it issued garnishments against each of the three defendants in June 2003.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.