One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The appeal of Los Gavilanes lies precisely in its English disdain for garishness.’
- ‘Although there is nothing particularly striking about the interior, it is tastefully done and the colours and trim fabrics used are sensible and modern without any hint of garishness.’
- ‘It's a curious mix of film-set kitsch and rustic country village, but it's pretty and tasteful and devoid of the kind garishness that taints Christmas here.’
- ‘The door's chrome-like surface appears to ripple and swirl confusingly, dizzying the senses, its garishness clashing violently with the plainness of the room and those large, overstuffed chairs.’
- ‘It is not only the brightness, garishness, shininess and fine detail of these pictures: the composition, too, was - by the standards of the masters - slapdash.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.