One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘It's a curious mix of film-set kitsch and rustic country village, but it's pretty and tasteful and devoid of the kind garishness that taints Christmas here.’
- ‘The appeal of Los Gavilanes lies precisely in its English disdain for garishness.’
- ‘Although there is nothing particularly striking about the interior, it is tastefully done and the colours and trim fabrics used are sensible and modern without any hint of garishness.’
- ‘It is not only the brightness, garishness, shininess and fine detail of these pictures: the composition, too, was - by the standards of the masters - slapdash.’
- ‘The door's chrome-like surface appears to ripple and swirl confusingly, dizzying the senses, its garishness clashing violently with the plainness of the room and those large, overstuffed chairs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.