Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for Hurler's syndrome
- ‘Craig gave birth to a child with Hohler's syndrome, or gargoylism.’
- ‘The physical characteristics associated with this disorder include gargoylism and dwarfism.’
- ‘About one third of the total mucopolysacoharide was found to be keratosulfate which is found in very small amounts, if at all in normal urine or the urine of patients with gargoylism.’
- ‘These Canadian boys were aged 8 and 10 years at the time and the legendary Frederick Parkes Weber, who was present at the meeting, concurred with the diagnosis of ‘gargoylism’.’
- ‘Although the two distributions overlap, the means of the parents of patients with gargoylism are higher than those of the control adults.’
Early 20th century: from gargoyle (because the deformities which characterize the syndrome were thought to resemble Gothic gargoyles) + -ism.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.