One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of long, slender fish with elongated beaklike jaws containing sharply pointed teeth.
a marine fish (family Belonidae, in particular the common European Belone belone.Also called needlefish or garpike)
a freshwater fish (family Lepisosteidae and genus Lepisosteus).Also called gar or garpike
- ‘Mullet, garfish or herring seem to be the preferred bait.’
- ‘There's clear evidence that they are taking a terrible toll on species like king george whiting and garfish.’
- ‘The garfish are extremely long fish, reaching around a metre in length, yet weighing only three pounds.’
- ‘Moray eels, garfish and trumpetfish were roaming and snapping at a plethora of potential prey.’
- ‘On the coast you saltwater fly fishers can expect to catch bass, mullet, garfish, flounders and mackerel.’
- ‘The cottages have windows in the floors that reveal a rich parade of marine life: bonefish, jacks, garfish and whip morays.’
- ‘If you've time to spare, a day fishing above the bridge with fly gear picks out some huge garfish which are keen to take any type of streamer fly with silver or white in it.’
- ‘These are almost identical to UK garfish, but have teeth and are much bigger, and they leap high in the air during the fight.’
- ‘All the headlands such as Towan and Trevose are places to go and wet a line for typical species such as wrasse, mackerel and garfish, but just do be careful and keep an eye out for rogue waves and lively sea conditions.’
- ‘Conger to over 50 lb, pollack, bass, rays, sole, plaice, bream, mullet, garfish, wrasse, tope, cod and probably a few others I've forgotten.’
- ‘The back-end is pike-shaped, the front is a cross between a garfish and a crocodile.’
- ‘So in mid-may, we will sail over to the island again and fish for some big garfish.’
- ‘One Saturday lunchtime, garfish, gemfish, jewfish, skate, salmon and tuna are on the list.’
- ‘You will also catch plenty of mackerel and garfish in summer.’
- ‘When chasing whiting and garfish I like to use small long-shank hooks.’
- ‘The other species moving around the river near Lismore is garfish.’
- ‘Leighton Beach has fished well for garfish, herring and yellow-finned whiting and for anglers with limited mobility is not a bad spot to fish.’
- ‘There are garfish, tailor and bream around the headland whereas off shore the odd snapper or dolphin fish is being picked up.’
- ‘The half-beaks, like the garfish, are capable of sustained gliding above the surface of the water, which accounts for the Thai name, pla kathung heo, meaning water-beetle.’
- ‘The tank features thousands of herring, mackerel, garfish, and horse mackerel, which are found off the coast of Denmark.’
Middle English: apparently from Old English gār ‘spear’ + fish.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.