Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The activity of tending and cultivating a garden, especially as a pastime.‘her love of gardening’[as modifier] ‘gardening gloves’
- ‘In retirement he added a love of gardening to his sporting interests.’
- ‘As well as filming on the Moors he was also planning to visit his grandfather's allotment where he had first developed his love of gardening.’
- ‘Linda described him as a wonderful man who loved football and gardening.’
- ‘You can tell a judge is popular when an usher at his court fashions a humorous painting of him enjoying his favourite pastime of gardening.’
- ‘Sales of sunglasses are booming as are sets of garden furniture and gardening equipment as people pour out of doors.’
- ‘She'd stopped driving five months before because it was too painful for her, and soon afterwards she'd also given up gardening, which she loved.’
- ‘After retirement, she developed her love of gardening.’
- ‘His love of animals preceded his love of gardening, and he says a good gardener is automatically a naturalist.’
- ‘In his retirement he said he will have time for his hobbies of gardening and he will be kept busy with many duties and a post as Canon at Chester Cathedral.’
- ‘You can even benefit from time spent doing routine aerobic activities such as gardening or housework.’
- ‘In the end, fall is only the beginning of gardening as a family activity.’
- ‘As well as coaching, Christie indulges his love of gardening.’
- ‘I do love a bit of gardening, though, and a raised border is much easier for me to get to than grovelling at ground level.’
- ‘She loves her gardening and she gets food shopping for her elderly neighbours.’
- ‘Alison too, remembers her mother's love of gardening and flowers.’
- ‘In retirement, she was able to indulge in her hobbies of gardening, choral singing, and woodwork.’
- ‘One of Ian's hobbies being gardening, the small garden was filled with brightly coloured flowers.’
- ‘She and her husband Dave, 65, shared a love of organic gardening.’
- ‘If you're into the more subversive, wacky side of vegetable gardening then you will love this book.’
- ‘Tour the magical gardens with the Brockhole gardening team, on Wednesday, and enter a world of discovery.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.