One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A common European orb-web spider with pale markings on the large rounded abdomen.
- ‘The hideous monster in my bin was a gigantic garden spider.’
- ‘As we sat smoking my friend Marc looked at Brandy and saw a large yellow-banded garden spider crawling in her hair.’
- ‘To appreciate the shimmering beauty of a garden spider's web on a dewy morning or the incredible industry of countless little creatures that make their homes among the leaves.’
- ‘The web of an average garden spider contains up to 30 metres of silk.’
- ‘Here, we characterized silk cDNAs derived from the aciniform glands of Argiope trifasciata, the banded garden spider.’
- ‘These are not your every day house and garden spiders, for those are natural creatures, and I hold no animosity toward them (other than being freaked out in general by them).’
- ‘Blackledge has studied several species, including the black-and-yellow garden spider and the banded garden spider, which incorporate designs like spirals and crosses into their webs.’
- ‘Apparently they are baby garden spiders and this is the time of year they hatch out, after overwintering as eggs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.