Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A new town designed as a whole with much open space and greenery.
- ‘Here are conflated British turn-of-the-century ideal of the garden city and the south Asian archetypal strategy of drawing the sky into the heart of a building.’
- ‘Yes, well there is a link with the garden city ideal and the modern garden city.’
- ‘In America the first tangible result was Radburn, an idealistic effort to build a self-sufficient garden city within two square miles of New Jersey.’
- ‘The garden city has a large number of laptop-carrying professionals, used to working online round the clock, as well as a large number of international travellers who log on to this service.’
- ‘It was built as a garden city composed of various hamlets and centered on an artificial lake.’
- ‘Bandung needs city woodland in line with its concept as a garden city.’
- ‘The estate of Eusebi Guell was originally to become a hilltop garden city in the early twentieth century.’
- ‘They designed Britain's first garden city, Letchworth.’
- ‘Inspired and influenced as he is by Lutyens, the concept of garden city planning is reflected in his designs as well.’
- ‘Think about this and the painting becomes an allegory of the whole idea of a garden city.’
- ‘Three steps will solve Toronto's slum problems: effective housing by-laws, suburban garden cities on the British model and a planning authority capable of establishing a green belt around Toronto.’
- ‘His scheme, which would amount to the creation of a garden city on both sides of the estuary, is being considered by the housing minister, according to Building Design magazine.’
- ‘In the olden days, when every city was a garden city, before every scrap of land was built on and cities became slums, what was raised up high were cockerels.’
- ‘The Horticulture department has drawn up plans to upgrade and replant the Lalbhag Botanical Garden - a major tourist destination in the garden city.’
- ‘Hellerau is a garden city created at the start of the last century on the western edge of Dresden, and the Festspielhaus, our home for the week of final rehearsals, is huge: an early-Modern temple to physical and aesthetic well being.’
- ‘Bangalore is the garden city no more; trees have lost their battle against automobiles: cars pump out much more carbon monoxide than the oxygen trees can generate.’
- ‘We watch, with polite amusement, as two civil engineers descend on the rural community of Rosscullen to set up an idealised garden city.’
- ‘The dominant architectural and social forms for most middle class Singaporeans are the mall, the MRT station, and the HDB flat or condominium: more a seamless air-conditioned space than a garden city.’
- ‘His surrounding avenues of domestic architecture have the low density and lavish planting that he derived from English garden cities.’
- ‘A tree census is necessary as, ironically, nobody in the garden city including the Forest Department, knows how many trees there are and the frequency of occurrence of species.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.