Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘In a blender or food processor, combine garlic, garbanzo beans, olive oil, tofu and lemon juice.’
- ‘Try mashing a handful of garbanzos with lemon juice for a quick chip dip.’
- ‘The mixture of garbanzo beans, tahini (sesame paste), and garlic is a Middle-Eastern staple that found its way to the U.S. over the last decade or two.’
- ‘She concocted this garbanzo soup primarily from pantry ingredients one night when she was short on time.’
- ‘But all beans, including cream-colored navy beans and garbanzo beans, contain iron, folate, zinc, and a bit of calcium.’
- ‘It came with potatoes, garbanzo beans, kidney beans and green beans.’
- ‘I chop up whatever fruits and vegetables I have available and make a delicious salad including my favourite garbanzo beans and mangoes.’
- ‘Flaky and deep-fried, not unlike Navajo fry bread, this layery white-flour orb makes a good garbanzo scoop.’
- ‘For added zing, cut up your extra escarole for a side salad with tomatoes, garbanzos, and Italian dressing.’
- ‘Natural folates can be found in dark green leafy vegetables (such as spinach, kale, mustard greens, radicchio and Swiss chard), oranges, lentils, asparagus and garbanzo beans.’
- ‘I refuse to buy any food at Stop and Shop, although I admit I can't detect differences in Goya and generic garbanzos.’
- ‘These flavorful garbanzos, from my Indian friend, make an excellent vegetarian main dish.’
- ‘While she did not claim Latina heritage she had, nonetheless, grown up with arroz con pollo, café con leche, and garbanzos.’
- ‘One variety of Algerian couscous is made with onion, zucchini yellow squash, red potatoes, green pepper, garbanzo beans, vegetable stock, tomato paste, whole cloves, cayenne, and turmeric.’
- ‘One week the garbanzo beans are slightly caramelized and sautéed with Serrano ham, onion and arugula; the next week the beans are simply braised with tomato and spices.’
- ‘Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are extremely underrated.’
- ‘There are also shell beans (lima, navy, kidney, mung, garbanzo and soya) that you can grow just for the bean seeds inside the pod.’
- ‘This can also include lentils such as soybeans or garbanzo beans, and meats such as liver.’
- ‘There is a strong demand for different types of organic dry edible beans, like red kidney, navy, black, blackeyed peas and garbanzo beans.’
- ‘Once we were seated, our waitress brought us amuse-bouches in Japanese-type soup spoons: it was a garbanzo bean purée topped with tapenade (olive paste).’
Mid 18th century: from Spanish.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.