One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘There are also shell beans (lima, navy, kidney, mung, garbanzo and soya) that you can grow just for the bean seeds inside the pod.’
- ‘She concocted this garbanzo soup primarily from pantry ingredients one night when she was short on time.’
- ‘There is a strong demand for different types of organic dry edible beans, like red kidney, navy, black, blackeyed peas and garbanzo beans.’
- ‘But all beans, including cream-colored navy beans and garbanzo beans, contain iron, folate, zinc, and a bit of calcium.’
- ‘I chop up whatever fruits and vegetables I have available and make a delicious salad including my favourite garbanzo beans and mangoes.’
- ‘It came with potatoes, garbanzo beans, kidney beans and green beans.’
- ‘This can also include lentils such as soybeans or garbanzo beans, and meats such as liver.’
- ‘The mixture of garbanzo beans, tahini (sesame paste), and garlic is a Middle-Eastern staple that found its way to the U.S. over the last decade or two.’
- ‘Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are extremely underrated.’
- ‘Flaky and deep-fried, not unlike Navajo fry bread, this layery white-flour orb makes a good garbanzo scoop.’
- ‘Try mashing a handful of garbanzos with lemon juice for a quick chip dip.’
- ‘For added zing, cut up your extra escarole for a side salad with tomatoes, garbanzos, and Italian dressing.’
- ‘These flavorful garbanzos, from my Indian friend, make an excellent vegetarian main dish.’
- ‘Once we were seated, our waitress brought us amuse-bouches in Japanese-type soup spoons: it was a garbanzo bean purée topped with tapenade (olive paste).’
- ‘In a blender or food processor, combine garlic, garbanzo beans, olive oil, tofu and lemon juice.’
- ‘One week the garbanzo beans are slightly caramelized and sautéed with Serrano ham, onion and arugula; the next week the beans are simply braised with tomato and spices.’
- ‘While she did not claim Latina heritage she had, nonetheless, grown up with arroz con pollo, café con leche, and garbanzos.’
- ‘One variety of Algerian couscous is made with onion, zucchini yellow squash, red potatoes, green pepper, garbanzo beans, vegetable stock, tomato paste, whole cloves, cayenne, and turmeric.’
- ‘I refuse to buy any food at Stop and Shop, although I admit I can't detect differences in Goya and generic garbanzos.’
- ‘Natural folates can be found in dark green leafy vegetables (such as spinach, kale, mustard greens, radicchio and Swiss chard), oranges, lentils, asparagus and garbanzo beans.’
Mid 18th century: from Spanish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.