One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A container, typically plastic or metal, for household refuse; a dustbin.
- ‘I walk away in disgust and throw the piece of paper in the nearest garbage can without even looking at it.’
- ‘Things seemed randomly placed, especially the garbage can right next to the guest chair.’
- ‘Then I had to carry all the trash outside to the big garbage can and roll it out to the sidewalk by the street.’
- ‘Many people just throw their junk on the ground rather than finding a garbage can or recycling bin.’
- ‘By 10 am, a source at the Ministry of National Security was saying that detectives had recovered a mysterious black box in a garbage bin on the promenade.’
- ‘I was passing a side-street and found about 9 people pulling sealed wine and vermouth bottles out of a garbage bin on the street.’
- ‘Periodically he would sweep it all into a shopping bag and deposit it in the garbage can.’
- ‘Every club gives out passes for free visits - and most of these passes end up in the garbage can.’
- ‘I scraped the remains of my waffles into the garbage bin and placed my dishes into the sink, promising myself I would clean them up later.’
- ‘I can fill most of a large garbage can with the leaves every two weeks if I'm diligent.’
- ‘For heaven's sake, last night I saw a guy in a Times Square uniform take a spray bottle to a garbage can.’
- ‘More than 84 per cent said they hold onto trash until they find a garbage can where they can dispose of it.’
- ‘It was beginning to cool off ever so slightly, and I tossed my cup in a garbage can as we passed it.’
- ‘They pushed me so quickly and forcefully that I fell back into a pile of garbage bags and hit my head on a garbage bin.’
- ‘You are much better off putting the keg into an empty garbage can and packing the surrounding space with ice.’
- ‘She then tosses the cup into a nearby garbage can and pulls a cell phone from her tiny purse.’
- ‘It's also handy for householders to know the different plastic types so they know whether to put a container in with the recycling or throw it in the garbage bin.’
- ‘She threw the plastic cups into the nearby garbage can and wiped the surface.’
- ‘I threw away our cups in a public garbage bin, found a sidewalk, and followed it out of the park, where I headed for a subway terminal.’
- ‘He threw the sandwich away in the nearest garbage can and headed to school.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.