One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sale of unwanted household goods held in the garage or front garden of someone's house.
- ‘The last time I'd been at my Grandma's house, she had a garage sale.’
- ‘I'm not having a garage sale so that I can just give away all this stuff.’
- ‘We were supposed to have a garage sale tomorrow, but I've managed to offload so much of our stuff to friends and people at work that there's not enough left to have one.’
- ‘We find Lauren perched on a chair, her eyes glued to the tiny TV Mom picked up at a garage sale.’
- ‘Last weekend, the committee held a garage sale in a vacant lot next to the Dutch Cup Restaurant to raise funds for next year's celebrations.’
- ‘Don't even bother selling it in a garage sale, because you are then wishing it upon someone else who will actually wear it.’
- ‘My dad stayed home all day selling items that we wouldn't be needing in California on eBay and at a little garage sale in the front yard.’
- ‘The rest of the ‘treasures’ that could be of use are now sitting at my church, donated for my church garage sale next month.’
- ‘Victoria day weekend might not be the best time to have a garage sale, especially if everyone is houseboating in the Shuswap.’
- ‘It spurred talk of a neighborhood watch, a farmer's market and a communitywide garage sale.’
- ‘I'm even somewhat excited about my garage sale as a lot of our family and friends will be stopping by.’
- ‘At the age of six, Mark wheedled a $15 drum set out of his parents from a garage sale.’
- ‘People are also being encouraged to have a garage sale of any unwanted gifts and belongings on the same day and donate the proceeds.’
- ‘He knows one collector who bought a black and white Sputnik television at a garage sale for $20.’
- ‘For the following week, the pre-teen devoted himself to dreaming and planning what he could buy for the $55 he had earned from the garage sale.’
- ‘The next time you see this title at a garage sale, flea market, or pawn shop, it's well worth the cash you'd have to put out for it.’
- ‘This is not the same as going to a garage sale or some of your local swap meets.’
- ‘My sister had a garage sale this weekend and I took it as an opportunity to rid my closets of clutter.’
- ‘I participated in a garage sale with some friends over the weekend.’
- ‘Moving house is often the time for a garage sale, a clean out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.