One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sale of unwanted household goods held in the garage or front garden of someone's house.
- ‘This is not the same as going to a garage sale or some of your local swap meets.’
- ‘At the age of six, Mark wheedled a $15 drum set out of his parents from a garage sale.’
- ‘People are also being encouraged to have a garage sale of any unwanted gifts and belongings on the same day and donate the proceeds.’
- ‘He knows one collector who bought a black and white Sputnik television at a garage sale for $20.’
- ‘We find Lauren perched on a chair, her eyes glued to the tiny TV Mom picked up at a garage sale.’
- ‘Victoria day weekend might not be the best time to have a garage sale, especially if everyone is houseboating in the Shuswap.’
- ‘Don't even bother selling it in a garage sale, because you are then wishing it upon someone else who will actually wear it.’
- ‘I'm even somewhat excited about my garage sale as a lot of our family and friends will be stopping by.’
- ‘Moving house is often the time for a garage sale, a clean out.’
- ‘My dad stayed home all day selling items that we wouldn't be needing in California on eBay and at a little garage sale in the front yard.’
- ‘Last weekend, the committee held a garage sale in a vacant lot next to the Dutch Cup Restaurant to raise funds for next year's celebrations.’
- ‘I participated in a garage sale with some friends over the weekend.’
- ‘The next time you see this title at a garage sale, flea market, or pawn shop, it's well worth the cash you'd have to put out for it.’
- ‘It spurred talk of a neighborhood watch, a farmer's market and a communitywide garage sale.’
- ‘For the following week, the pre-teen devoted himself to dreaming and planning what he could buy for the $55 he had earned from the garage sale.’
- ‘We were supposed to have a garage sale tomorrow, but I've managed to offload so much of our stuff to friends and people at work that there's not enough left to have one.’
- ‘The last time I'd been at my Grandma's house, she had a garage sale.’
- ‘I'm not having a garage sale so that I can just give away all this stuff.’
- ‘My sister had a garage sale this weekend and I took it as an opportunity to rid my closets of clutter.’
- ‘The rest of the ‘treasures’ that could be of use are now sitting at my church, donated for my church garage sale next month.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.