Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The freshwater garfish of North America.→ garfish
- ‘There are bowfins, longnose and Florida gars, 15 species of sunfish, seven species of catfish, largemouth bass, and Suwannee bass.’
- ‘Today lungs are found not only in land vertebrates but also in a few obscure fish lineages, such as gar, bichir, and lungfish.’
- ‘The native range of longnose gar (Lepisosteus osseus; family Lepisosteidae) extends to the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain.’
- ‘Rough fish comprise the American eel, black sucker, dogfish, gar, lamprey eel, redhorse, sheephead, and white sucker.’
- ‘This group included a number of lineages, including relatives of today's gars and bowfins.’
- ‘Long shots for the title include caviar-producing sturgeon, goliath Amazon catfish, giant lungfish, razor-toothed gars, massive cods, and Mongolian salmon.’
- ‘The sturgeon is an example of the initial radiation of Palaeozoic chondrosteans, while the gar pikes are representatives of the initial radiation of neopterygians in the Mesozoic.’
- ‘A variety of turtles lived in the rivers, along with gar, freshwater clams and snails, crayfish, and alligators.’
- ‘Specifically, the shortnose gar is characterized by a short (relative to other gars), broad snout.’
- ‘Dozens of wide-eyed fishermen have called to share stories of giant catfish or gar taken from local bayous, golf-course ponds and neighborhood lakes.’
- ‘For example, the long jaws of gar and needlefish arose independently and give these disparate taxa the most velocity specialized mandibles yet measured in fishes.’
- ‘However, the gar is special because there are only about 10 species left of this lineage (living fossil).’
- ‘Because the skin is attached to the underlying myomeric axial musculature and to the axial skeleton, it can function to transmit locomotor forces along the fish body, as has been demonstrated in sharks, eels, and gars.’
- ‘Consideration has been given to gars as a possible aid in controlling overpopulation of sunfish and yellow perch as well.’
- ‘The inshore division recognizes eight species: croaker, black drum, flounder, gafftop catfish, gar, redfish, sheepshead, and speckled trout.’
- ‘Their goal: to assess the conservation status of giant catfish, stingrays, gars, carp, salmon, sturgeon, and other freshwater fish species that grow to at least 6.5 feet in length or 220 pounds in weight.’
Mid 18th century: abbreviation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.