Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A parasitic nematode worm that infests the trachea and bronchi of birds, causing the gapes.
- ‘Once gapeworm is confirmed it can be easily treated by Ivermectin or Panacur per your veterinarian's recommendation.’
- ‘The most common worms found in pigeons today are roundworms, hair worms, stomach wall worms, gapeworms, stronglylids, and tapeworms.’
- ‘A common nematode of the respiratory tract is known as the gapeworm, or Syngamus trachea.’
- ‘Without treatment for gapeworms, birds can suffocate to death.’
- ‘In the case of gapeworms (often caught from pheasants) the birds will be seen gaping after exertion and attempting to cough up the worms which are anchored in the windpipe.’
- ‘Adult birds bearing a few gapeworms are a serious danger to nestlings and if possible should therefore be prevented from eating infective larvae in transport hosts such as earthworms.’
- ‘One drug that is effective for eliminating gapeworms is fenbendazole, however, its use is not presently approved for use in birds by the Food and Drug Administration.’
- ‘In Melbourne, gapeworm is common in ravens, blackbirds and thrushes but I've never diagnosed it in any of the Psittaciformes, probably because they don't usually eat earthworms.’
- ‘Pheasant are particularly susceptible to gapeworm, and this repeated treatment is sometimes used to ‘hoover up’ the worms and their eggs on infested ground.’
- ‘After being consumed by the bird, gapeworm larvae hatch in the intestine and migrate from the intestine to the trachea and lungs.’
- ‘This is the gapeworm of poultry, found in the trachea of chickens, turkeys, guinea fowl and many species of wild birds.’
- ‘The entire process from the time the bird ingests the earthworm to the time adult gapeworms can be found in the trachea is approximately 7 days.’
- ‘Birds who eat the infected earthworms may become infected with gapeworm larvae.’
- ‘Like him, I too often watched my mother perform a similar operation, [but] the only parasite my dear Republican mother was ever able to extract from the chick's throat was gapeworms.’
- ‘Necropsy reveals adult gapeworms obstructing the lumina of the trachea, bronchi, and lungs.’
- ‘He had some suggestions about that, but the main word is that there is not much that can be done about gapeworm since it is fungal.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.