One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The foreman of a gang of labourers.
boss, manager, manageress, foreman, forewoman, overseer, controller, supervisor, superintendentView synonyms
- ‘Joe also served with Mayo County Council and was for many years a ganger with the Council in this region.’
- ‘He is quite sympathetic, even though he's a press ganger when first we meet him.’
- ‘Next to it there was a basketball game in progress composed mostly of gangers.’
- ‘We'll only be the gangers now and we are accepting this policy for €45m.’
- ‘The navvies were organised under gangers, men who organised the gangs of labourers.’
- ‘He's been a formworker, concreter, paver, labourer, patcher and ganger, driven forklifts and all-terrain vehicles on construction sites across the northern state.’
- ‘He retired as ganger in 1982, and took up golf and bowls.’
- ‘In the later years he worked as ganger with the Mayo Co. Council, Belmullet.’
- ‘A very highly respected member of the community, a hardworking, industrious farmer, he was also a ganger with Mayo County Council for many years until his retirement and was very popular with his superiors and workers.’
- ‘Dan, as he was affectionately known, worked as a ganger for Mayo Co. Council for many years until his retirement and was very popular with his superiors and for all those who worked under him.’
- ‘‘The ganger was from Galway and stayed in our house, paying my mother £1 per week for his keep,’ he says.’
- ‘Although conditions were hard on the gangers, there was no slowing down during the extremely hot summer months.’
- ‘He ended up as a road ganger under a current road engineer, whom I understand has been in that position with Kildare County Council for the past 28 years.’
- ‘The only thing you would get before ten-thirty, when the ganger would call for tea and you could get a mug of the hot stuff, made in an urn complete with a couple of pints of milk and two pounds of sugar, ready-assembled and boiled to death.’
- ‘In his younger years, he worked for Roscommon County Council where he held position as ganger.’
- ‘He hawked his wares and George was foreman ganger at the station.’
- ‘After a short period, in 1970 he was appointed a ganger in the Athy / Cherryville area, which included Kildare.’
- ‘Martin who was in his 86th year worked as a ganger for many years with the board of works, and was greatly admired and respected by all who had the pleasure of knowing him, he was a good friend and a good neighbour.’
- ‘‘He was a ganger and was moved to a place called Bradleys (near Walkaway) and then he was shifted out to Geraldton and from there the family moved to Bringo,’ she said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.