One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a plan) go wrong.
- ‘The best laid plans, I discovered, can indeed gang agley, as swiftly as a mouse's existence is ended by a harvester.’
- ‘I should have expected that plan to gang agley.’
- ‘Sometimes we fail simply because we are poor, dumb, fallible, feckless human beings whose best-laid schemes gang aft agley.’
- ‘But that wrecked show-trial wasn't the only media scheme that ganged agley in November 2005.’
- ‘The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.