Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The application of typical elements of game playing (e.g. point scoring, competition with others, rules of play) to other areas of activity, typically as an online marketing technique to encourage engagement with a product or service.‘gamification is exciting because it promises to make the hard stuff in life fun’
- ‘This overt gamification, with its messages that pop up in the middle of battles and post-mission reports on your progress, does initially feel a bit strange.’
- ‘Gamification is simple common sense - why not apply decades of games industry design and experience to non-game businesses and software in order to attract users?’
- ‘Before the conference, he spoke about why gamification has become a hot topic at the White House.’
- ‘"With gamification, we'll find boring things fun, like paying our taxes, getting regular checkups, buying groceries or checking the weather," she says.’
- ‘By 2015, a recent report projects that over 70% of the Global 2000 (the world's largest companies) will be using gamification.’
- ‘Gamification has plenty of critics, and the debate over its future could become an epic battle.’
- ‘In a recent interview he discussed the rise of social gaming, how "gamification" is seeping into other industries.’
- ‘Do you want to use gamification for your website but have no idea how?’
- ‘Right now, it seems that everyone is talking about how to get into gamification, but without considering how to get out of it.’
- ‘If you think about your own life, I bet that you can easily find examples of gamification that have motivated you to do something.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.