(in the life cycle of plants with alternating generations) the gamete-producing and usually haploid phase, producing the zygote from which the sporophyte arises. It is the dominant form in bryophytes.
- ‘Bryophytes are characterized by their dominant gametophytic plant body and their sporophytes epiphytic to gametophytes.’
- ‘Unlike vascular plants, the haploid gametophyte generation is dominant in mosses.’
- ‘The alternation between haploid gametophyte and diploid sporophyte phases, known as alternation of generations, occurs in all multi-cellular plants.’
- ‘Many algae are characterized by an alternation of haploid gametophyte and diploid sporophyte generations.’
- ‘The plant life cycle alternates between a diploid sporophyte and a haploid gametophyte generation.’