Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the life cycle of plants with alternating generations) the gamete-producing and usually haploid phase, producing the zygote from which the sporophyte arises. It is the dominant form in bryophytes.
- ‘Bryophytes are characterized by their dominant gametophytic plant body and their sporophytes epiphytic to gametophytes.’
- ‘Unlike vascular plants, the haploid gametophyte generation is dominant in mosses.’
- ‘The alternation between haploid gametophyte and diploid sporophyte phases, known as alternation of generations, occurs in all multi-cellular plants.’
- ‘Many algae are characterized by an alternation of haploid gametophyte and diploid sporophyte generations.’
- ‘The plant life cycle alternates between a diploid sporophyte and a haploid gametophyte generation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.