Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The process in which cells undergo meiosis to form gametes.
- ‘Homologous chromosomes are fully aligned at the pachytene stage, and germ cells survive to complete meiosis and gametogenesis with high efficiency.’
- ‘Males arise spontaneously through nondisjunction of the X chromosome during gametogenesis and the subsequent fusion with a normal gamete, yielding an XO individual.’
- ‘Meiosis is the component of gametogenesis responsible for the segregation of homologous chromosomes into haploid gametes.’
- ‘Normally, the adult proximal germline contains germ cells undergoing gametogenesis and proliferation is restricted to the distalmost part of the adult gonad.’
- ‘Sporulation in single-celled eukaryotes such as yeasts is a morphogenetic process equivalent to gametogenesis, because an ascospore is a highly specialized cell and its formation is preceded by meiotic nuclear division.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.