Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person who plays video games or participates in role-playing games.‘every gamer has suffered from small-screen videos’
- ‘Let's hope this could mean a shift in the way gamers view and buy games.’
- ‘This keeps the game flowing well as gamers never tire of the same scenery.’
- ‘It is definitely geared toward starting out and familiarizing the gamer with the game.’
- ‘A computer gamer is taking a software firm to court after he suddenly lost all of his virtual weapons.’
- ‘This can be a real plus for gamers or programmers looking to automate a set of keystrokes.’
- ‘We wanted to give gamers a ton of gameplay for their buck and we have really succeeded in this regard.’
- ‘If it costs less, the gamers and power users wanting unrestricted access would complain.’
- ‘Console gamers might want to see action and role-playing games added to that list.’
- ‘It's a series of fun, innovative games that gamers have struggled to get their hands on.’
- ‘Graphics are merely a means to an end, a way for the developer to immerse the gamer into the gameplay.’
- ‘Will this third game finally appeal to gamers in general and not just to those who are fans of the show?’
- ‘Sharp says it expects the monitor to be a hit with gamers in particular.’
- ‘Sales in excess of 6 million units are a testament to the impact made by this game on gamers worldwide.’
- ‘The epic role-playing games Japanese gamers love are all somewhere into 2006 at the earliest.’
- ‘Blizzard is a gamer's game company which has created three of the most successful PC gaming franchises in existence.’
- ‘It adds another level to the depth of the game and also encourages gamers to continue playing.’
- ‘She's among the growing group of female gamers that are getting hooked on computer games.’
- ‘For the first time in years, gamers have games that are actually pushing the limits of the hardware available.’
- ‘This is too uncomplicated a game for serious gamers to expect any kind of rewarding odyssey.’
- ‘I should point out that the game attracts mainly gamers from the continent.’
2North American A person known for consistently making a strong effort, especially in sport.‘he's a gamer, always ready to go that extra mile’
- ‘He's a gamer and a winner, the type of quarterback who gives the Chargers instant credibility.’
- ‘Chuck, always a gamer, hits the slopes again and gets another drubbing.’
- ‘If you were giving it out, you were wise and a good teammate, a gamer.’
- ‘What the team learned in its opener is that he is a gamer and a capable leader.’
- ‘He might have thought he was being a gamer by keeping quiet and pitching in pain last week.’
- ‘He is much more of a gamer and has proven that he can hit tough shots at the end of games, so the fourth quarter is mostly his.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.