One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a brave, spirited way.‘he battled gamely but was outclassed by his more experienced opponent’‘I scribbled madly, gamely trying to keep up’
- ‘While some poets and commercial enterprises gamely attempted to sustain pastoralism, many predicted that the discourse of nostalgia would be met with cynicism.’
- ‘He gamely touches upon everything from political propaganda to false advertising.’
- ‘As the scene ends, he gathers his troupe together and salutes them for gamely taking part.’
- ‘I sped up into a slow run, and he gamely matched my pace for about 200 yards.’
- ‘It's a subject that he's no doubt a little tired of, but he gamely follows the line of questioning.’
- ‘Librarians from around the city gamely clamber up on the loading dock and spin tales.’
- ‘He is wandering around with the phone in the crook of his neck and shoulder, gamely trying to placate an obstinate interviewer.’
- ‘She kindly consented to accompany me and gamely held my hand throughout the extraction.’
- ‘When a 60-year-old tribal elder gamely tried to organize a village defense force, he had to do it with a handful of men and just three rifles.’
- ‘In his directorial debut, he tries gamely to spice up the plotless proceedings by color-coding the different key stories.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.