The branch of mathematics concerned with the analysis of strategies for dealing with competitive situations where the outcome of a participant's choice of action depends critically on the actions of other participants. Game theory has been applied to contexts in war, business, and biology.Compare with decision theory
- ‘However, I concentrate on how it might be rational for you alone to choose: game theory concentrates how we might each choose in a jointly sustainable way.’
- ‘His early works range over number theory, statistics, combinatorics, game theory, as well as his principal interest of commutative algebra.’
- ‘He was always full of mathematical ideas, not only on game theory, but in geometry and topology as well.’
- ‘In 1925 he was the first to define and discuss the concept of strategy in game theory.’
- ‘Non-cooperative game theory concerns how players choose strategies, whilst cooperative game theory concerns how players choose their allies.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.