One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, hard crystalline mass formed abnormally in the gall bladder or bile ducts from bile pigments, cholesterol, and calcium salts. Gallstones can cause severe pain and blockage of the bile duct.
- ‘There are many reasons for jaundice other than cancer, for example hepatitis, or obstruction of the common bile duct due to gallstones.’
- ‘Elevated levels of cholesterol and bile pigments in the blood can cause gallstones, xanthomas, and high cholesterol.’
- ‘A wide array of laboratory and radiologic studies is used for the evaluation of gallstones located in the gallbladder and the common bile duct.’
- ‘This may predispose to gallstones, which in turn can lead to common bile duct obstruction.’
- ‘Approximately 90 percent of gallstones are composed of cholesterol.’
- ‘If you have gallstones but no pain, chances are good the stones won't be a problem for you.’
- ‘If it is caused by an obstruction such as a gallstone or a tumour, you may need to have surgery.’
- ‘When it precipitates in the gall bladder it forms crystalline solids called gallstones.’
- ‘The body can function well without a gallbladder and removing it is a common treatment for gallstones that are causing symptoms.’
- ‘The passage of a gallstone down the bile duct into the duodenum is very painful, and is known as biliary colic.’
- ‘In diabetic patients, the natural history of gallstones is generally benign, and there is low risk of a major complication.’
- ‘This type of jaundice is usually caused by a gallstone, or a tumour or cyst in the bile duct or pancreas.’
- ‘The most common causes of pancreatitis are gallstones and alcohol use.’
- ‘An abdominal computed tomographic scan showed gallstones and a splenic infarct.’
- ‘Exercise improves lower back pain, and prevents gallstones.’
- ‘These will reveal any abnormality in the bile or pancreatic systems, such as gallstones, bile duct disorders, Pancreatitis or cancer of the head of the pancreas.’
- ‘The most common cause of acute cholecystitis is obstruction of the cystic duct by gallstones, resulting in acute inflammation.’
- ‘Children with chronic hemolytic disorders generally have an increased risk of developing pigment gallstones.’
- ‘Common examples of these latter disorders include disturbance of liver cell function by acute hepatitis and obstruction of the bile ducts by impacted gallstones.’
- ‘Obstetric cholestasis is associated with cholesterol gallstones.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.