One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A forest restricted to the banks of a river or stream.
- ‘Local habitats include savanna-like pasture with scattered shrubs, rice fields, and gallery forest, and the area is artificially irrigated throughout the year.’
- ‘Several species of woodpeckers and owls also inhabit the gallery forests during the entire year.’
- ‘A gallery forest (bordering the river) is left intact, but a strip is cut immediately upslope and the desirable timber is removed by a road that is also designed to parallel the river.’
- ‘In the Brazilian side these grasslands are called the campos limpos; there are almost no gallery forests on this side.’
- ‘Sebastiania commersoniana occurs in south and southeastern Brazil in riparian or gallery forests.’
- ‘Additionally, 85% of the bat species found in the Cerrado depend upon gallery forests in some manner.’
- ‘They were off the plains again, following yet another of the small river valleys with its gallery forest that divided the prairies a little like spokes on a wheel… or perhaps more like branches radiating from a central trunk.’
- ‘Our Pleistocene hominid forebears were exploiters of the savannas and their adjacent gallery forests.’
- ‘Its diversified landscape has a rugged relief and is made up of rivers, ponds, meadows and floodplains, gallery forests and savannah.’
- ‘Your first full day in Noel Kempff will be spent exploring some of the oxbow lakes, gallery forests, and periodically inundated savannas located near Flor de Oro.’
- ‘Whereby, not only vegetation composition, structure and dynamics of the gallery forests, but also their reaction toward the site condition were elaborated.’
- ‘If it in fact requires gallery forest for its survival, rather than just preferring this habitat, it could be in serious trouble; however, this remains to be determined.’
- ‘Tall, dense reed beds grow along the riverside fringed by gallery forests of poplar and willow.’
- ‘The transects were distributed systematically along the gallery forest and located perpendicular to the current of the stream.’
- ‘There are also some limited extensions of gallery forests and palm tree savannas.’
- ‘This species is found throughout the Atlantic Forest, as well as in gallery forests of Cerrado vegetation from southern to northeastern Brazil.’
- ‘We're left with an interesting situation where gallery forest might persist along the streams, with patches of sparse woodland and partly open savannah between the patches of forest.’
- ‘The Gambia used to be covered in a mosaic of savannah woodland with patches of gallery forest, but much of this natural landscape has disappeared.’
- ‘It lives in deciduous woodland, gallery forest, and forest borders up to 1,500 m.’
- ‘Along the banks of rivers where the gallery forests grow, marsh deer browse on tree leaves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.