One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small winged insect that is similar to an ant in appearance. The female lays its egg in the food plant and when the larva hatches the surrounding plant tissue swells up around it to form a gall.
Superfamily Cynipoidea, order Hymenoptera: several genera
- ‘Each species of oak gall wasp attacks one to several host species, but none attack both white oaks and red oaks.’
- ‘The gall wasp, a native of Korea and Japan, entered this country in Georgia in 1974 from Asia.’
- ‘Female gall wasps emit chemical pheromones into the plant stem to attract males in the spring.’
- ‘He immerses himself in the study of the gall wasp, whose North American varieties were almost completely unresearched.’
- ‘Two or more years are required for gall wasps that develop in woody twig galls to reach maturity.’
- ‘Only a few species are known from South America and Africa and there are no native gall wasps in Australia.’
- ‘The stems are slightly swollen and if the gall wasps have emerged, their emergence holes are also noticeable.’
- ‘Prune gall wasp out of citrus trees before September to prevent eggs from hatching.’
- ‘His specialty was the physiology of the gall wasp.’
- ‘The hedgehog gall wasp can cause leaf galls with orangeish fuzz.’
- ‘Even still, there are other perils awaiting the defenseless gall wasps inside their papery galls.’
- ‘Specifically, the researchers found that male gall wasps respond to uneven chemical ratios in the plants.’
- ‘Aphids, grasshoppers, and gall wasps appear in the Cretaceous, as well as termites and ants in the later part of this period.’
- ‘Just how the different gall wasps stimulate oaks to form a specific kind of gall is not completely understood.’
- ‘He attended Harvard and received a Doctor of Science degree in taxonomy, and he devoted no less than 20 years of his life to researching the gall wasp.’
- ‘Socially inept, the young entymologist is delighted when he meets Clara, the only girl on campus as interested in gall wasps as he is.’
- ‘Perhaps his background as a specialist on gall wasps wasn't the best start for the study of human relations.’
- ‘There are at least two different families of gall wasps which come in lay their eggs and that eats the maggot.’
- ‘As a by-product of that study, they discovered that females of a flea-sized prairie gall wasp, Antistrophus rufus, are able to alert males to their presence by altering the smell of the plants they live in.’
- ‘Here he abandoned religion, raised a family, and won a reputation as a respected teacher and preeminent authority on gall wasps.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.