Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, delicate fly which induces gall formation in plants or may cause other damage to crops.
- ‘Other pests include gypsy moth caterpillars, gall midge, and scale.’
- ‘Sampson is also looking at ways to control the blueberry gall midge, a fly that attacks the flower and leaf buds of blueberry plants.’
- ‘Unlike gall midges, thrips have a wide host range, feeding on the flowers of many species of plants.’
- ‘The family appears to be a member of the extant group Sciaroidea, which includes fungus gnats and gall midges, though precise relationships remain unclear.’
- ‘More recently, the gall midge has moved into the Houston area and become a cause of bud drop.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.