One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a medicine) made of natural rather than synthetic components.
- ‘Phytopharmaceuticals are not conventional drugs, but they are also very different from galenical extracts.’
- ‘Is one of the leading manufacturers and exporters of botanical, galenical, herbal and plant extracts in China.’
- ‘This new galenical form is provided only for ambulatory treatments; it is intended for both children and adults.’
- ‘Because a double-blind procedure could not be guaranteed with the commercially available galenical form (lyophilized powder), a methylprednisolone solution that was characterized by its limpidity was used.’
- ‘The formulae for galenical preparations and solutions are arranged on a somewhat novel plan, every preparation being made up, except in few instances, to one hundred parts by weight or volume.’
2Relating to Galen.
- ‘Harvey's observations clearly showed the Galenical view to be erroneous.’
- ‘For the next 1500 years Western medicine was termed Galenical and extended its influence throughout Europe and into the New World.’
- ‘Under the Galenical system, the way to increase the power of a remedy was to add more and more plants that had the opposite action from the humor that was supposedly causing the illness.’
A medicine made of natural rather than synthetic components.
- ‘There have been at least three noted galenicals which appeared in the middle of the 17th and 18th centuries, used an infusion of Cinchona bark as a remedy for agues and fevers.’
- ‘Some of these drugs derived from galenicals or were designed by structural alteration of known drugs.’
- ‘The galenicals included here are named by their appropriate pharmaceutical category.’
- ‘Furthermore, medicinal plants constitute a source of valuable foreign exchange for most developing countries, as they are a ready source of drugs such as quinine and reserpine; of galenicals like tinctures and of intermediates in the production of semi-synthetic drugs.’
- ‘Even crude drugs, made from medicinal plants, were standardized during preparation to give galenicals having the same potency from batch to batch and as given in the pharmacopoeias.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.