One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a medicine) made of natural rather than synthetic components.
- ‘Because a double-blind procedure could not be guaranteed with the commercially available galenical form (lyophilized powder), a methylprednisolone solution that was characterized by its limpidity was used.’
- ‘This new galenical form is provided only for ambulatory treatments; it is intended for both children and adults.’
- ‘Phytopharmaceuticals are not conventional drugs, but they are also very different from galenical extracts.’
- ‘Is one of the leading manufacturers and exporters of botanical, galenical, herbal and plant extracts in China.’
- ‘The formulae for galenical preparations and solutions are arranged on a somewhat novel plan, every preparation being made up, except in few instances, to one hundred parts by weight or volume.’
2Relating to Galen.
- ‘Under the Galenical system, the way to increase the power of a remedy was to add more and more plants that had the opposite action from the humor that was supposedly causing the illness.’
- ‘For the next 1500 years Western medicine was termed Galenical and extended its influence throughout Europe and into the New World.’
- ‘Harvey's observations clearly showed the Galenical view to be erroneous.’
A medicine made of natural rather than synthetic components.
- ‘Furthermore, medicinal plants constitute a source of valuable foreign exchange for most developing countries, as they are a ready source of drugs such as quinine and reserpine; of galenicals like tinctures and of intermediates in the production of semi-synthetic drugs.’
- ‘Some of these drugs derived from galenicals or were designed by structural alteration of known drugs.’
- ‘Even crude drugs, made from medicinal plants, were standardized during preparation to give galenicals having the same potency from batch to batch and as given in the pharmacopoeias.’
- ‘There have been at least three noted galenicals which appeared in the middle of the 17th and 18th centuries, used an infusion of Cinchona bark as a remedy for agues and fevers.’
- ‘The galenicals included here are named by their appropriate pharmaceutical category.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.