One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A law forbidding the public disclosure of information on a particular matter.‘the gag law prohibits the publication of polling data for the last few days preceding a federal election’
- ‘This Government's gagging law is an attack on democracy with unfair consequences for charities in Plymouth.’
- ‘While the gag law isn't the end of democracy in Canada, it certainly is a major blow to it.’
- ‘In Minnesota, the U.S. Supreme Court declared state gag laws an unconstitutional prior restraint on speech.’
- ‘The gag law prevents people from having access to ideas that might help them make a more educated decision during an election.’
- ‘The Lobbying Act - in reality, a gagging law - imposes onerous new regulations on nongovernmental organisations.’
- ‘A newspaper was shut down under Minnesota's gag law for accusing a mayor of being under the control of a gangster.’
- ‘Some protesters wore tape on their mouths and carried signs calling the law a "gagging law".’
- ‘The proposed gagging law would have a chilling effect on British democracy and our right to speak up on issues that matter to us.’
- ‘In Canada, though, this will be less of a problem since we have gag law legislation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.