One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Strong cloth-backed waterproof adhesive tape.
- ‘He once heard gaffer tape pulled behind him in a TV studio before doing an interview, and went cold.’
- ‘Oh, and there was all the safety stuff as well - such as sticking the wires to the floor with gaffer tape, to make sure nobody could trip over them.’
- ‘Mr King said: ‘She turned up on her first day wearing these waterproofs she had made herself that were held together with gaffer tape.’’
- ‘Someone is having gaffer tape wrapped around his head.’
- ‘Lank hair hangs down his back and a pair of tattered cowboy boots are held together with willpower and several rounds of gaffer tape.’
- ‘Don't tell your actors, but shoot practice takes (you might need to put a bit of gaffer tape over the recording light) sometimes they are the best, most natural take.’
- ‘A piece of black gaffer tape was produced and rudely slapped across the mouth.’
- ‘But a damning national newspaper headline and a spot of tape - gaffer tape, naturally - was all he needed in the dressing room to gear the Clarets up for the cup.’
- ‘Then I was able to get his own gaffer tape on him until the police arrived.’
- ‘You'll be sickened by what four young men can get up to with just a few bull whips, staplers, drawing pins, gaffer tape, sandpaper and hammers.’
- ‘Nothing that can't be replaced with a lick and a prayer, some gaffer tape and a steel beam.’
- ‘Rummaging around in freezing cold sheds and garages provided us merry few with planks of wood and endless supplies of gaffer tape, which would serve as bindings for our makeshift skis.’
- ‘The rocket is standing on an old wooden pallet, held in position with gaffer tape.’
- ‘It's a deathtrap heap: the safety belt is attached to the chassis with gaffer tape.’
- ‘Some have tried but really you can't smoke gaffer tape.’
- ‘Why does it appear to be held together with gaffer tape?’
- ‘My wife fixed it with three metres of black gaffer tape.’
- ‘Placing gaffer tape on the edge of a CD may make it unbalanced and could cause damage to the disc or drive as it spins at high speed.’
- ‘The airport security confiscated my gaffer tape.’
- ‘Even the newest sheds are held up with gaffer tape.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.