Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Sound or visual effects used in film, TV, or music.‘films which require actors rather than special FX’
- ‘My favorite thing to tell potential clients is: Shoot it for real, avoid FX whenever you can!’
- ‘No matter how good the short is, if your script requires ' Lord Of The Rings'-level FX, the chances are low that they will let you direct it.’
- ‘For a director that's been in special FX since 1993, it's unforgivable how bad some of the CGI is, especially in moments where it was completely unnecessary.’
- ‘As the Robinsons discover and fend off the spider creatures, the technology brought to life by the FX is nothing short of stunning.’
- ‘You know the FX are too pronounced when you spend a lot of time wondering what onscreen is practical, what the actors are really interacting with.’
- ‘Gee-whiz FX work is facilitated by the fact that this is the world's first feature shot entirely on hi-def digital video - giving the whole thing on occasion the feel of a Tears for Fears video gone haywire.’
- ‘There's some impressively nasty makeup FX and the latter half of the film (involving the rampaging virus, some angry rednecks and a very cheesed-off German Shepherd) works up a nice creepy vibe.’
- ‘Glenn Jones totes a collection of obscure vintage guitars behind a huge rack of FX units seemingly fashioned from some drawers and a zimmerframe.’
- ‘The FX, especially in the requisite dream sequences, aren't remotely as innovative as even the worst of the Elm Street sequels.’
- ‘FX blockbusters such as The Matrix Reloaded and The Hulk will typically have their DVDs produced by the big Hollywood studios.’
- ‘Advances in computer FX make it possible for indie filmmakers to realize visions that would have been impossible for them a decade ago.’
- ‘As for the FX work...well, you'd think $140 million could buy some better stuff.’
- ‘Despite some excellent FX work, the sequence is nowhere near as exciting as it promises to be.’
- ‘There's no fancy gadgets or gimmicky FX, just six strings or twelve occasionally, a pair of hands and an incredibly innovative music imagination that breaches all boundaries.’
- ‘By today's standards in special FX it sounds very primitive, but in fact it worked great.’
- ‘But no matter how realistic the FX are, there is a teensy problem in that - in this opening episode, at least - the programme is slavishly recreating creatures that most of us laypersons are entirely unfamiliar with.’
- ‘An alternate ending is present which doesn't really change very much (and features a lot of incomplete FX work) whilst the deleted scenes are no more monotonous than anything in the actual film.’
- ‘I only wish I could do my own cut of the film and include many of the extra scenes without the special FX.’
- ‘It was very tough, we were the crew, the grips, the gaffers, the directors, Rob and I were two of the actors, we did the costumes, the make-up FX, everything.’
- ‘To present the fighting in long takes and without FX trickery was hugely important.’
1950s: from the pronunciation of the two letters forming the two syllables of effects.
- ‘Some FX traders may generate as many as 1,000 trades in a year.’
- ‘Professional FX traders will generally focus on large cross-border M & A activities greater than US $1 billion.’
- ‘"Fund managers tend to adjust their FX hedges at the end of each month based on changes in the value of their US equity holdings," she said.’
- ‘Banks have already tightened their credit policies so severely that FX lending is already virtually dead.’
- ‘The dollar share of total holdings of FX reserves fell from 71 .5 percent in 2001 to 64 percent in the final quarter of 2008.’
- ‘Another interesting angle on this is that its failure to prevent unauthorised gambling on FX options is going to cost taxpayers $54 million as the losses will be tax deductible.’
- ‘A good chunk of the simpler FX transactions is going into Web channels where the distribution costs are low.’
- ‘There's been a bit of activity in the FX market, but most of the equities market people have been pretty well distracted.’
- ‘Both FX experts maintained the dollar's nearest rivals failed to gain significant ground over the same period.’
- ‘The bank "is slowly diversifying its FX [foreign-exchange] reserves away from US dollars," said the report.’
- ‘There are many tools used by seasoned options traders that can also be useful to trading spot FX.’
- ‘He took an early retirement from his job as an FX (foreign exchange) dealer, though a recent loss meant he might have to go back to work.’
- ‘Of course the FX market is the most liquid market in the world.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.