One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A modified form of soccer played with five players per side on a smaller, typically indoor, pitch.
- ‘They weren't a bad team I'll even dare say that they are better than most of the people I play futsal with back in KL.’
- ‘We have a young squad which has succeeded in its aim of playing high-quality futsal.’
- ‘With space at a premium in the tiny nation, futsal has flourished and Bahrain are steadily building up a high-quality national team.’
- ‘If not for football or futsal, I probably drink about 2 litres of water a month.’
- ‘Although futsal has been popular in many parts of Japan for some time, a fully-fledged national league has never been tried before.’
- ‘It comes as no surprise then the number of national football associations embracing futsal is growing all the time.’
- ‘Tom Levitt wants people to know how futsal could help England win Euro 2004.’
- ‘The sequence was the same when the incidence of injury was calculated per 1000 match hours, except in the case of futsal.’
- ‘Lozano himself graced the sport of futsal between 1982 and 1991, representing his country 40 times.’
- ‘The first world futsal tournament sanctioned by the International Football Federation was played in Holland in 1989.’
- ‘That one will go down in history as it marked the coming of age of Spanish futsal.’
- ‘No one doubts the immense popularity of futsal in Japan, but the extent to which the public will embrace it as a spectator sport remains to be seen.’
- ‘He said that the reason aside from the lack of space, the reason that futsal has gained popularity was because it required less people and less equipment.’
- ‘Javier Lozano's decision to step down as Spain coach marks the end of an era in Spanish futsal.’
- ‘They had to beat some Hispanic kids from South America who grow up with futsal and play it at the grass-roots level.’
- ‘For the first time in the history of the Pan-American games, futsal featured on the programme of events.’
- ‘According to several different studies, futsal is one of the fastest growing sports on the planet, with about two million players, both men and women, officially registered.’
- ‘So why are premier league clubs such as Manchester United, Chelsea and Aston Villa rumoured to be interested in the game of futsal and conceivably another league competition?’
- ‘The challenge for the clubs will be to convey the attractions of futsal and the power and excitement of a top class league to their local fan base.’
- ‘The objective has been to include grassroots futsal within the popular summer programme.’
1980s: partly from Brazilian Portuguese, shortened from futebol du salão, and partly from Spanish, shortened from fútbol sala or fútbol de salón.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.