One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pointlessness or uselessness.‘the horror and futility of war’
fruitlessness, vanity, pointlessnessView synonyms
- ‘Primarily, however, the drama is about yearning and the futility of attempting to suppress human emotion.’
- ‘In its place stands the conviction of the futility of life; of the awareness of existence in a dark room.’
- ‘The narrator then steps in to comment on the pointlessness and futility of life on earth before the credits roll.’
- ‘In the face of war and mass slaughter, he has proved it retains the ability to shock us with the sheer frivolity of its efforts in futility.’
- ‘On realizing the futility of his mission, he would return to staring at me.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.