One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pointlessness or uselessness.‘the horror and futility of war’
fruitlessness, vanity, pointlessnessView synonyms
- ‘In its place stands the conviction of the futility of life; of the awareness of existence in a dark room.’
- ‘Primarily, however, the drama is about yearning and the futility of attempting to suppress human emotion.’
- ‘On realizing the futility of his mission, he would return to staring at me.’
- ‘The narrator then steps in to comment on the pointlessness and futility of life on earth before the credits roll.’
- ‘In the face of war and mass slaughter, he has proved it retains the ability to shock us with the sheer frivolity of its efforts in futility.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.