One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The runic alphabet.
- ‘Furthermore, several rune alphabets or futharks have been left behind to puzzle scholars.’
- ‘Thorn and edh survived into the middle ages after the other futhorks had been forgotten.’
- ‘The English alphabet Old English was first written in the runic alphabet known as futhork, and isolated runic inscriptions continued to be made in Britain until the 12c.’
- ‘The futhark was an alphabet of runes, used by Germanic people until the fifteenth century.’
- ‘The major runic alphabets are called futharks based upon the first six symbols.’
- ‘And though it only lists the runestaves of the Younger Futhark, it appears alongside an Old English futhorc.’
- ‘The original futhorc was invented north of the Alps in the first centuries of the Christian era.’
- ‘And you find yourself sitting alone, thinking of someone you knew before something you must have said about scrimshaw or futhark.’
- ‘Two runic futhorks, one earlier than the other, are employed.’
- ‘There are pictures galore of many different futharks, transliterated and translated inscriptions, some discussion - you name it.’
- ‘If you compare the futhorc given above, you will see that Tolkien has altered some the rune shapes.’
- ‘The ‘Rune Poem’ goes through the entire futhorc, describing each rune in a separate verse.’
- ‘The ordered set of letters, what we call the alphabet, was referred to as the futhark, or futhorc, or other like names, depending on the language and the current letter set.’
- ‘The Anglo-Saxon futhorc used by Tolkien has 31 distinct characters, some of which have variants.’
- ‘The younger futhork was in widespread use in Scandinavia from approx. the 9th to the 11 th centuries.’
- ‘The different futharks do have slightly different forms for several runes, as well as varying inclusions.’
- ‘Light shone off the blade brilliantly and several words in futhark were in the blade.’
- ‘It didn't really matter if I mixed Latin written in a Scandinavian futhark with English or Italian in a Celtic futhorc in the same painting.’
- ‘One inscription is a copy of the twenty-eight letters of the runic alphabet, known as the futhorc.’
- ‘All other futharks are a variation of these, and use the same basic symbols and meanings.’
Mid 19th century: from letters corresponding to the first six letters of the ancient runic alphabet: f, u, th, a (or o), r, k.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.