Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Furniture, fittings, and other decorative accessories such as curtains and carpets, for a house or room:‘a large room filled with fine ornaments and luxurious furnishings’[mass noun] ‘the furnishing comprised three easy chairs and one oval table’
- ‘The solid mahogany bar fittings and furniture and deep pile furnishings sets the tone of the club.’
- ‘In the end, the cost of the house and its furnishings totaled more than one million dollars.’
- ‘Once all fittings and furnishings are chosen, she travels to the resorts to meet the furniture on arrival.’
- ‘The cleanliness of the carpets and furnishings should also be assessed and dust levels kept low.’
- ‘They shined a dirty light on the only furnishings in the room, a chair and a small table.’
- ‘She emphasised that they should give careful consideration to the way in which furnishings and furniture are placed in a room.’
- ‘To break the monotony, we hopped along the road in a westerly direction to pay a visit to a large furniture and furnishings store.’
- ‘To get rid of red wine stains on furnishings and carpets don't apply salt - use carbonated soda water instead.’
- ‘This spare space must still be filled with furnishings, appliances, carpets and curtains.’
- ‘Each room had the same furnishings and amount of dirt, the only thing that changed was the color.’
- ‘Even with the simplest furnishings, the proper use of color can transform a room.’
- ‘Room furnishings, right down to the Egyptian cotton sheets, are top notch everywhere in the hotel.’
- ‘You have to help me choose the styles of her gown, not to mention furnishings for her room.’
- ‘It also houses an extensive array of furniture, furnishings and assorted curios.’
- ‘In the wet season the rain pours in, ruining the last of the royal carpets and furnishings.’
- ‘The houses would need to be empty and if they have period furniture and furnishings that would be an extra advantage.’
- ‘The front desk takes care of everything from laundering sheets to updating furnishings.’
- ‘They took furnishings, china, sofas, televisions and goodness only knows what else.’
- ‘Then she turned from the trunk and made a slow perusal of the room and its furnishings.’
- ‘Tactile elements, such as luxurious carpeting and quality furnishings, are a bonus.’
- 1.1[as modifier] Denoting fabrics used for curtains or upholstery.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.