One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A colourless volatile liquid with a planar unsaturated five-membered ring in its molecule.
Chemical formula: C₄H₄O
- ‘Furan, a colourless, volatile liquid used in some chemical manufacturing industries, causes cancer in animals in studies where animals are exposed to furan at high doses.’
- ‘While a furan unit is part of the polychlorinated dibenzofuran structure, these are very different compounds with different effects.’
- ‘Furfural reacts with phenols, ketones, and esters as an aldehyde; removal of the aldehyde group yields furan, which is converted to tetrahydrofuran, used in the manufacture of nylon.’
- ‘This study, however, stays firmly focussed on the standard for dioxin and furan emissions.’
- ‘Prior to the group's meetings to draft the dioxin and furan standards, participants believed that the main point of contention would be over the numerical limits.’
- ‘Cycloadditon of one of the double bonds on either the furan or the pyrone ring of a psoralen molecule forms a monoadduct.’
- ‘Although these derivatives are not properly nitrofurans, the 2-furylethylene compounds with the nitro group located outside the furan ring are isomers of position of the classical 5-nitrofuran derivatives.’
- ‘Several studies have demonstrated that only the 5-nitrofurans are mutagenic and that derivatives with the nitro group outside the furan ring do not show mutagenic activity.’
- ‘Sediment dioxin and furan levels from some of these open coast sites have been highly variable since 1993.’
- ‘Many plants make use of furocoumarins, in which a coumarin is bonded to a furan ring, as protective substances.’
- ‘In other words, dioxin and furan production decreases with the increase of chlorine availability.’
- 1.1count noun Any substituted derivative of furan.
- ‘Dioxins, and furans, are chemical compounds generated as by-products of most forms of combustion, particularly of plastics and rubber.’
- ‘According to Marcocchio, and the World Health Organization, dioxins are linked to cancer, birth defects and auto-immune problems, while furans are chemically similar but slightly less toxic.’
- ‘The compounds are furans, thiophenes and pyrroles substituted by two aryl groups and an aliphatic acid group containing from two to six carbon atoms or a derivative thereof.’
- ‘Its chemical composition makes it incapable of producing dioxins or furans when burned.’
- ‘An adsorption powder for removing mercury and other metals, dioxins, furans and other organic compounds from metal- and organic compound-comtaminated soil and method therefor.’
- ‘This argument was presented in a modified form to the effect that the system of monitoring for dioxins and furans (other objectionable organic pollutants) was unreasonable and contrary to Articles 2 and 8 of the Convention.’
Late 19th century: from synonymous furfuran.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.