One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high, wide neck on a garment such as a sweater.
- ‘Fur - chinchilla, mink and faux - cropped up in everything, trimming funnel necks on great, charcoal velvet coats, slung around the hips of a paisley-esque maxi-skirt, punctuating jackets shot though with shimmers of Swarovski crystals.’
- ‘As a hopeless romantic, the [floral] brocade and exquisite feminine detailing, such as the corsages, quilted flowers, funnel necks, and bubble skirts really stood out for me.’
- ‘For tops, we are seeing fleece fabrics, mesh linings, sporty funnel necks, gilets and hoods.’
- ‘Many people prefer a funnel neck to a turtle neck since they aren't as tight and do not go as high on the neck.’
- ‘It was one powerfully sexy look after another - variations on the origami-like pleated fan shape in bustiers and short jackets, those body-hugging but forgiving, lean stretch wool pencil skirts, the double-knit funnel necks that gave the illusion of a neck that goes on for miles.’
- ‘Details include ski jackets with zip up funnel necks for extra warmth along with padded and part fleece lining.’
- ‘From funnel necks to turtlenecks, mock necks to V-necks, crewnecks to zip down and polo necks, all of these options can be worn under a suit, sports jacket, or alone.’
- ‘There were sweaters with mohair gauze funnel necks that the models pulled up to cover the lower parts of their faces.’
- ‘Tops with oversized funnel necks in wool cashmere that fell open and draped and gaped down the front like a lion's giant yawn made the point clearly and inventively.’
- ‘Cassidy was the first one to leave wearing a magenta double breasted funnel neck sweater coat with flare sleeves, dark jeans and black pumps.’
- ‘Double-faced wool jackets with bloused sleeves and funnel necks were dramatic, and for party moments, a belted, printed silk chiffon bubble dress and the cherry red draped jersey frock were just right.’
- ‘Details like fur trim, high-high heels, and glamorous Swarovski crystal-encrusted funnel necks make it easy to get - and stay - in swanky party mode.’
- ‘A centrepiece of the collection is a top assembled from three separate items: a huge funnel neck, pull-on arms with long strings hanging from them, and a body-hugging bodice.’
- ‘This fun, short tee with a funnel neck is quick and easy to make.’
- ‘The white coat with black leather ribbon belt from 1999 was there, only this time the funnel neck led the way to a plush collar cut from a whole fox skin.’
- ‘Girls wore jumbo-hanky-hemmed knits and scrunched funnel necks accessorised with a controlled abundance of leather and studs.’
- ‘Tunics with funnel necks, hoodie vests and visible hardware toned down the femininity without denying it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.