One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high, wide neck on a garment such as a sweater.
- ‘From funnel necks to turtlenecks, mock necks to V-necks, crewnecks to zip down and polo necks, all of these options can be worn under a suit, sports jacket, or alone.’
- ‘Tunics with funnel necks, hoodie vests and visible hardware toned down the femininity without denying it.’
- ‘The white coat with black leather ribbon belt from 1999 was there, only this time the funnel neck led the way to a plush collar cut from a whole fox skin.’
- ‘This fun, short tee with a funnel neck is quick and easy to make.’
- ‘It was one powerfully sexy look after another - variations on the origami-like pleated fan shape in bustiers and short jackets, those body-hugging but forgiving, lean stretch wool pencil skirts, the double-knit funnel necks that gave the illusion of a neck that goes on for miles.’
- ‘Double-faced wool jackets with bloused sleeves and funnel necks were dramatic, and for party moments, a belted, printed silk chiffon bubble dress and the cherry red draped jersey frock were just right.’
- ‘Cassidy was the first one to leave wearing a magenta double breasted funnel neck sweater coat with flare sleeves, dark jeans and black pumps.’
- ‘A centrepiece of the collection is a top assembled from three separate items: a huge funnel neck, pull-on arms with long strings hanging from them, and a body-hugging bodice.’
- ‘For tops, we are seeing fleece fabrics, mesh linings, sporty funnel necks, gilets and hoods.’
- ‘Many people prefer a funnel neck to a turtle neck since they aren't as tight and do not go as high on the neck.’
- ‘Tops with oversized funnel necks in wool cashmere that fell open and draped and gaped down the front like a lion's giant yawn made the point clearly and inventively.’
- ‘Details like fur trim, high-high heels, and glamorous Swarovski crystal-encrusted funnel necks make it easy to get - and stay - in swanky party mode.’
- ‘As a hopeless romantic, the [floral] brocade and exquisite feminine detailing, such as the corsages, quilted flowers, funnel necks, and bubble skirts really stood out for me.’
- ‘Details include ski jackets with zip up funnel necks for extra warmth along with padded and part fleece lining.’
- ‘Fur - chinchilla, mink and faux - cropped up in everything, trimming funnel necks on great, charcoal velvet coats, slung around the hips of a paisley-esque maxi-skirt, punctuating jackets shot though with shimmers of Swarovski crystals.’
- ‘There were sweaters with mohair gauze funnel necks that the models pulled up to cover the lower parts of their faces.’
- ‘Girls wore jumbo-hanky-hemmed knits and scrunched funnel necks accessorised with a controlled abundance of leather and studs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.