One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rotating funnel-shaped cloud forming the core of a tornado or waterspout.
- ‘This funnel cloud developed in Clayton, N.M., well outside of ‘Tornado Alley.’’
- ‘A light gray funnel cloud was extending down, at a rate of about twenty feet a second.’
- ‘Squire added: ‘County officials are beginning to obtain information on the scope and severity of injuries inflicted when the funnel cloud touched down early yesterday morning.’’
- ‘The soldiers looked up and watched a large funnel cloud appear in the sky.’
- ‘The family is scurrying for shelter while a towering funnel cloud advances relentlessly toward their home.’
- ‘Thirty-three years ago, a misty funnel cloud opened up over Antarctica.’
- ‘This storm, incidentally, produced both a small funnel cloud and nickel-sized hail.’
- ‘Forecaster Chris Rees, from PA Weather, said it sounded as though a funnel cloud or a mini tornado had hit the town.’
- ‘The funnel cloud associated with most tornadoes results from moisture condensing out of humid air as the vortex accelerates and the air pressure inside drops.’
- ‘Another funnel cloud, this one larger, and more powerful, heading towards me, Josh, and the kid.’
- ‘I was twelve and I rode on the back of a big boy's bicycle flat into a funnel cloud that picked us up and threw us clean into the ditch.’
- ‘So when she encountered her first funnel cloud in the midst of a bike ride in 1998, the professional athlete wasn't content ducking into a ditch.’
- ‘On Friday, June 9, several residents spotted a funnel cloud forming northwest of Fairview.’
- ‘Then you see it for the first time, a nice formed funnel cloud coming down ready to rip, twist, and destroy anything.’
- ‘Just like a funnel cloud, the clouds were moving quickly in a circular pattern around the entire city while the thunder continued to roar loudly.’
- ‘The twister or funnel cloud was spotted at around 4pm yesterday as a torrential downpour rained on the town.’
- ‘Environment Canada was criticized for issuing a tornado warning only after someone reported seeing a funnel cloud touch down.’
- ‘Diane had picked up Shannon from school just before the twister touched down in a park a block away and she had vainly tried to outrun the howling funnel cloud.’
- ‘The weather we have seen over the last few days is conducive to a tornado, or a funnel cloud as we call them, and we had one near Halton on Monday as well.’
- ‘Suddenly, ahead was a black funnel cloud heading towards my car.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.