One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, delicate fly whose larvae feed chiefly on fungi.
- ‘The family appears to be a member of the extant group Sciaroidea, which includes fungus gnats and gall midges, though precise relationships remain unclear.’
- ‘The immature fungus gnat lives in the soil and are white, translucent larvae with shiny black heads.’
- ‘High moisture levels encourage fungus gnats, as do potting mixes with high levels of organic matter.’
- ‘This time I've planted them in vermiculite which is completely soil free and hence should not attract the dratted fungus gnats.’
- ‘The hunter fly's soil-dwelling larvae are also predatory, feeding mainly on larvae of other insects, including fungus gnats.’
- ‘As with any pest, fungus gnat and shore fly control programs are built on prevention and monitoring.’
- ‘Almost immediately they become infested with fungus gnats (sciarid flies) which eat all the mushrooms before they form.’
- ‘Keeping the kits under your sink usually results in fungus gnats.’
- ‘They're being eaten by the larvae of the fungus gnat.’
- ‘Three new introduced species of fungus gnats (small flies) were recorded in suburban gardens.’
- ‘Correcting a moisture problem and cleaning the area should eliminate the fungus gnats fairly quickly.’
- ‘Douglas, thank you for taking the time to explain all about fungus gnats and how to get rid of them.’
- ‘Take care not to overwater your plants, as fungus gnats require a moist environment to feed and breed.’
- ‘Tears or openings in the bags enable resident fungus gnat populations to gain entry into the media bags.’
- ‘Not only will controlling your watering help to prevent fungus gnats, it will prevent the second most common problem, damping-off.’
- ‘Although it is the larvae of fungus gnats which damage seedlings, adults are most conspicuous.’
- ‘From the protective stalks of lacewing eggs to the amazing hanging threads of New Zealand's fungus gnats, invertebrates use it in a huge range of ways.’
- ‘This predatory mite should be applied to the crop before fungus gnats begin to build up significantly.’
- ‘If a cloud of tiny flies billow out from a plant as you touch or walk past it, then you've got fungus gnats.’
- ‘Another nematode, Steinernema carpocapsae, is now on the market for fungus gnat control in greenhouses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.