Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Feeding on fungi or mushrooms.‘a fungivorous arthropod such as a millipede’
- ‘The goal of this study was to manage the soil food web to enhance population levels of microbivorous and fungivorous nematodes in the spring so that their feeding would release N immobilized in the primary decomposer biomass.’
- ‘The appearance of only a few predaceous snare building insects among the Mycetophilidae, of which about two thousand species are known to be mostly fungivorous, is in itself remarkable.’
- ‘These compounds appear to play a role in defending sclerotia from attack by fungivorous insects.’
- ‘Finding sporocarps may be time consuming, which would contribute to the assumed high degree of polyphagy in fungivorous insects in general.’
- ‘We are studying the ecology of two groups of obligately fungivorous insects, cecid flies, and ciid beetles.’
- ‘It possesses a central columella that is rich in lipids and is a choice food item for fungivorous mammals.’
- ‘Hundreds of California species either feed directly upon the e decomposer fungi, or predate the fungivorous taxa.’
- ‘The members of the tripunctata species group have diverse feeding habits; some are fungivorous and some are ground feeders associated with fallen flowers, small fruits, and decaying pulpy vegetation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.