One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inhibiting the growth of fungi.
- ‘The quantity of fungistatic saturated fatty acids in sebum increases at puberty, and this is thought to explain the rarity of tinea capitis in adults.’
- ‘A shortcoming of many antifungals is that they are only fungistatic (not fungicidal) and that is one of the reasons why they have to be applied during a long period of time.’
- ‘Fungicides have fungicidal activity, that actually kills the fungus, or fungistatic activity, that slows the growth of the fungus to prevent extensive damage.’
- ‘These events may occur because the fungistatic regimens used for suppression fail to eradicate the organism completely or because of host factors that persistently favour an inability to tolerate the resident yeast.’
- ‘At most, a fungistatic effect lasting for no more than 4 days was obtained using short incubation periods.’
- ‘The fungistatic compound was heat sensitive and lost activity after 72 hours.’
- ‘They merely displayed a fungistatic effect under the same experimental conditions, whereas all the porphyrins displayed a true fungicidal effect.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.