Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chemical that destroys fungus.‘many orchards no longer use fungicides’[mass noun] ‘cut away any rotten parts before dusting with fungicide’
- ‘Agricultural chemicals such as fungicides can be mixed with the seed coatings.’
- ‘Most crop protection chemicals, herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides have chlorine in them.’
- ‘The chemical group a fungicide belongs to is defined by its mode of action on a fungus.’
- ‘Common garden seed found in your garden centre is often treated with chemical fungicides and should not be used for sprouting.’
- ‘The fungicides nipagin and propionic acid were added to combat mold in the medium.’
- ‘The commonly used fungicides are maneb, mancozeb, daconil and copper-oxychloride.’
- ‘Chemical gardeners would use fungicides and try and deal with the symptoms but I tend to see it as part of the landscape.’
- ‘No synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, growth hormones or chemical treatments of any kind are used.’
- ‘Take similar protective measures when spraying insecticides, fungicides, paint and other toxic chemicals.’
- ‘Pesticides can be divided into fungicides, herbicides, and insecticides.’
- ‘With the elimination of the volatile mercurials, most fungicides now approved for use on seed are classified as nonvolatile.’
- ‘Methylamine is used extensively in the manufacture of herbicides and fungicides.’
- ‘Such resistance reduces the cost of hop production and the amount of fungicides used because the fungus is not able to infest resistant plants.’
- ‘Until 1997, cadmium carbonate and cadmium chloride were used as fungicides for golf courses and home lawns.’
- ‘The most commonly used pesticides include highly toxic chemicals called fumigants, fungicides and insecticides.’
- ‘The work should help reduce growers' reliance on fungicides and other farm chemicals.’
- ‘Most wine growers panic at the thought of mildew or molds, and chemical fungicides are considered a necessary evil.’
- ‘The fungicide could be a synthetic chemical formulation or it could be a biological control.’
- ‘Dust them with a powdered fungicide, such as captan, and spread them in a shady spot to dry for a day.’
- ‘Older fungicides like wettable sulfur (an organically approved fungicide) are protectants.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.