Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the fundus of an organ, especially of the stomach, uterus, or eyeball.
- ‘When fetal heart tones are present, gestational age is determined by fundal height, history, Leopold's maneuvers, or ultrasonography.’
- ‘So, for example, if you're 24 weeks pregnant, your fundal height should be 24 centimeters.’
- ‘Specifically, cranial nerve defects, cerebellar dysfunction, papilledema or absent venous pulsations on fundal examination, visual field defects, or motor or sensory deficits should be considered.’
- ‘The ocular effects surveyed included photophobia, burning, watering sensation, red eye, superficial interpalpebral erosion, Bitot spots, corneal opacity, pterygium, discharge, and fundal changes.’
- ‘Measuring large for dates means your fundal height is more than 2 centimeters larger than average for your stage of pregnancy, based on your due date.’
- ‘Routine fetal heart auscultation, urinalysis, and assessment of maternal weight, blood pressure, and fundal height generally are recommended, although the evidence for these interventions is variable.’
- ‘Patients with evidence of hypersplenism and those having gastric fundal varices were not included in the study.’
- ‘Gestational age was determined for each subject using the best obstetrical estimate, which was based on a combination of facts including last menstrual period, sonographic estimate, and uterine fundal height measurements.’
- ‘A longer labor in the hospital is usually ‘treated’ with Pitocin augmentation, instrumental delivery, fundal pressure, episiotomy, or cesarean section.’
- ‘When bleeding is not controlled by this manoeuvre, the usual cause is fundal bleeding, and angiography is performed.’
- ‘The review found that there is too little evidence to show whether symphysis fundal height measurement during pregnancy is more beneficial than abdominal palpation.’
- ‘For example, a petite woman tends to peak around 35 centimeters, while obese women can have fundal heights that far exceed their gestational age.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.