One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the fundus of an organ, especially of the stomach, uterus, or eyeball.
- ‘Patients with evidence of hypersplenism and those having gastric fundal varices were not included in the study.’
- ‘For example, a petite woman tends to peak around 35 centimeters, while obese women can have fundal heights that far exceed their gestational age.’
- ‘Routine fetal heart auscultation, urinalysis, and assessment of maternal weight, blood pressure, and fundal height generally are recommended, although the evidence for these interventions is variable.’
- ‘When fetal heart tones are present, gestational age is determined by fundal height, history, Leopold's maneuvers, or ultrasonography.’
- ‘Specifically, cranial nerve defects, cerebellar dysfunction, papilledema or absent venous pulsations on fundal examination, visual field defects, or motor or sensory deficits should be considered.’
- ‘The review found that there is too little evidence to show whether symphysis fundal height measurement during pregnancy is more beneficial than abdominal palpation.’
- ‘When bleeding is not controlled by this manoeuvre, the usual cause is fundal bleeding, and angiography is performed.’
- ‘Measuring large for dates means your fundal height is more than 2 centimeters larger than average for your stage of pregnancy, based on your due date.’
- ‘The ocular effects surveyed included photophobia, burning, watering sensation, red eye, superficial interpalpebral erosion, Bitot spots, corneal opacity, pterygium, discharge, and fundal changes.’
- ‘Gestational age was determined for each subject using the best obstetrical estimate, which was based on a combination of facts including last menstrual period, sonographic estimate, and uterine fundal height measurements.’
- ‘A longer labor in the hospital is usually ‘treated’ with Pitocin augmentation, instrumental delivery, fundal pressure, episiotomy, or cesarean section.’
- ‘So, for example, if you're 24 weeks pregnant, your fundal height should be 24 centimeters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.