One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An uncompetitive run, especially for sponsored runners in support of a charity.
- ‘Race director Peter Robinson said: ‘The half marathon is for serious runners but the fun runs mean there is something to suit everybody.’’
- ‘Three charity fun runs at Lancaster University are part of a huge community event which aims to entertain the whole family while raising thousands of pounds for local charities.’
- ‘As well as the marathon there was a relay team race, a fun run and a walk, all taking place in bright sunshine and warm weather.’
- ‘Corporations whose products are blamed for encouraging obesity and causing heart disease are only too keen to improve their image by sponsoring life-enhancing fun runs and marathons.’
- ‘However, we are not having much luck in York because our fun run at the race course was rained off this year.’
- ‘An estimated 25,000 people per day have ran across the ‘two bridges’ since 1979, in a multitude of fun runs, sponsored hikes and wacky races, which engineers say have taken their toll on the bridge.’
- ‘The club hopes 200 runners will take part in their first fun run to help raise £1, 000.’
- ‘In addition to being a fine eatery, Sorrentino's has installed itself in the community hosting charity events, sponsoring fun runs and giving everyone a great excuse to get garlic breath.’
- ‘Other events include a 10 km race, a 5km fun run, a 400m jog for pre-schoolers and a celebrity street mile.’
- ‘More than 20 charities had planned to set up stalls along the road and had organised sponsored walks, a fun run, balloon rides, a funfair and a vintage car rally.’
- ‘Now, however, employers are waking up to the idea that corporate social responsibility entails more than just sponsoring a fun run.’
- ‘Runners will join the five-mile and one-mile family fun runs on Sunday May 11 at Heaton Park, with all the proceeds going to research into children's cancer.’
- ‘Moleketi said the family event will include a 21 km marathon, a 10 km race and a 5km fun run.’
- ‘The marathon, together with its linked fun run, relay and wheelchair race, passed off without incident.’
- ‘The Wellington Race is a 5km fun run in Wellington Boots.’
- ‘The fun run was sponsored by the Croydon Guardian and other local businesses.’
- ‘All the funds raised during the event will be distributed between Tendring Technology College, the hosts of the fun run, and local charities’
- ‘The National Autistic Society has entry forms for several of the UK's top marathons and fun runs and is inviting runners to raise much-needed funds through sponsorship.’
- ‘Staff raised thousands more by organising a fun run, charity discos and raffles.’
- ‘The Geraldton Harriers Club is organising a marathon fun run to promote a healthy lifestyle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.