One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An uncompetitive run, especially for sponsored runners in support of a charity.
- ‘Three charity fun runs at Lancaster University are part of a huge community event which aims to entertain the whole family while raising thousands of pounds for local charities.’
- ‘All the funds raised during the event will be distributed between Tendring Technology College, the hosts of the fun run, and local charities’
- ‘Staff raised thousands more by organising a fun run, charity discos and raffles.’
- ‘The National Autistic Society has entry forms for several of the UK's top marathons and fun runs and is inviting runners to raise much-needed funds through sponsorship.’
- ‘Moleketi said the family event will include a 21 km marathon, a 10 km race and a 5km fun run.’
- ‘Corporations whose products are blamed for encouraging obesity and causing heart disease are only too keen to improve their image by sponsoring life-enhancing fun runs and marathons.’
- ‘The Geraldton Harriers Club is organising a marathon fun run to promote a healthy lifestyle.’
- ‘Runners will join the five-mile and one-mile family fun runs on Sunday May 11 at Heaton Park, with all the proceeds going to research into children's cancer.’
- ‘Other events include a 10 km race, a 5km fun run, a 400m jog for pre-schoolers and a celebrity street mile.’
- ‘As well as the marathon there was a relay team race, a fun run and a walk, all taking place in bright sunshine and warm weather.’
- ‘Now, however, employers are waking up to the idea that corporate social responsibility entails more than just sponsoring a fun run.’
- ‘In addition to being a fine eatery, Sorrentino's has installed itself in the community hosting charity events, sponsoring fun runs and giving everyone a great excuse to get garlic breath.’
- ‘The Wellington Race is a 5km fun run in Wellington Boots.’
- ‘An estimated 25,000 people per day have ran across the ‘two bridges’ since 1979, in a multitude of fun runs, sponsored hikes and wacky races, which engineers say have taken their toll on the bridge.’
- ‘The fun run was sponsored by the Croydon Guardian and other local businesses.’
- ‘The club hopes 200 runners will take part in their first fun run to help raise £1, 000.’
- ‘More than 20 charities had planned to set up stalls along the road and had organised sponsored walks, a fun run, balloon rides, a funfair and a vintage car rally.’
- ‘The marathon, together with its linked fun run, relay and wheelchair race, passed off without incident.’
- ‘However, we are not having much luck in York because our fun run at the race course was rained off this year.’
- ‘Race director Peter Robinson said: ‘The half marathon is for serious runners but the fun runs mean there is something to suit everybody.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.