Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fume cupboard.
- ‘Experiments involving short irradiation times were carried out in a fume hood with an even air flow to prevent heating up of the lamps.’
- ‘For scanning electron microscopy, flies were air dried for several days in a fume hood, mounted, and sputter coated with gold/palladium.’
- ‘A big energy user in laboratories is typically the fume hood, where all of the air that flows through the hood is exhausted outdoors.’
- ‘You need to rig up a trap for the vented gas, since it's rather bad form just to send it up the fume hood.’
- ‘Among its treasures are antique burners, balances, a wooden fume hood and a voltage regulator fitted with antiquated light bulbs to monitor current.’
- ‘We'll save about $115 annually for each personal computer and monitor that are turned off during evenings and weekends, $58 for a laser printer or fax machine, $216 for a copier and $4,250 for a fume hood.’
- ‘Air-handling systems are supposed to whisk all that stuff away, and besides, we're supposed to be doing all that work inside the fume hood, anyway.’
- ‘At Ithaca College undergraduates perform research with professors and imbibe the same patterns, scheduling instrumentation time or using dedicated fume hoods, insect habitats, or the like.’
- ‘The resin/ethanol solution and the chow were thoroughly mixed and then dried at room temperature in a fume hood overnight.’
- ‘My fume hood and lab bench need a bit of organizing, too, but they don't get as bad as they used to when I worked in them full-time. The desk, though, has always been bad, and now it gets to its final maximum-entropy state more quickly than ever.’
- ‘To extract fecal cortisol, I evaporated off excess ethanol by leaving samples overnight under a fume hood and then freeze-dried the samples.’
- ‘The top chamber was removed in a fume hood and allowed to vent for 1 min to remove any CO 2 present, the plants were then excised at the sand surface.’
- ‘A fume hood at work or school would be ideal; outdoors is next best.’
- ‘Ventilation in this area should be supplemented with additional fans and fume hoods to dissipate the Pentane vapours along with the other vapours from cutting.’
- ‘It can give me a broader perspective on my industry, which might come in handy, but it's going to do zilch for what's stirring in my fume hood.’
- ‘Another letter points out that I misstated Carl Sagan's term for the organic goo found in the outer planets (and in my fume hood at work.)’
- ‘If you find it necessary to mix amidol in hot water, do so under a fume hood or outdoors.’
- ‘We have space for the lab stations and for classroom instruction; and with the room layout, it's easy to watch and supervise - especially students working at the fume hood.’
- ‘I didn't have any of the things that I use more often now - no hexane, no ethyl acetate or any of the other dozen solvents under my fume hood.’
- ‘Science rooms at Wilson Middle School in Muncie, Indiana, include a fume hood, enabling students and staff to work with chemicals in a safe, well ventilated area.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.